Front suspension for my Borealis Crestone.

PB Forum :: Fat Bikes
Front suspension for my Borealis Crestone.
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 20, 2022 at 11:56 Quote
I ride my Fat bike snow or trail. Running 27.5 X 70mm Nextie carbon rims laced to Bitex hubs with Dillinger 4's. It's not uncomfortable on the trail just thinking I may have better control.

Why should I consider a suspension fork? Or not?

Posted: Apr 20, 2022 at 17:20 Quote
I ditched my rigid fork for a lauf and I would never go back. I don’t have experience with other fatbike suspension.
I run 4.5 studded in winter and a seperate wheelset with 3.8 in summer, some run a boost suspension up front which may be an option to consider if you dip into a second wheelset ever (29+)
For me;

Why
Super light weight
Short axle to crown
Zero maintenance
Great for climbing
Great on small bumps
Amazing in winter

Why not
Cost
More expensive then other suspension
Super ugly maybe?

The bike is way more fun in summer now but still has the benefits I wanted to keep in the winter.

Posted: Apr 20, 2022 at 19:59 Quote
Defenitely more control, and you'll be a lot faster on technical terrain. Depending on your riding style, the slacker head angle and more relaxed riding position with a longer axle to crown measurement could be a welcome change.

Depending on the fork you go with, there could be some added weight, and a bit more maintenance since any decent telescopic fork is supposed to get an annual service.

O+
Posted: Apr 22, 2022 at 20:27 Quote
A manitou mastodon pro is where it’s at for suspension fork. I’ve tried the Bluto and the mastodon is much better. You’ll hit technical rooty or rocky sections much faster, similar to a standard hardtail mtb. I started rigid and I will say I climbed a little better this way but overall I think front suspension is more fun. I’ve run 26 4.8 and 27.5x3.8 and 4.0 and had fun with both size wheels.

Posted: Apr 27, 2022 at 9:34 Quote
Since you already have wheels and tires, the Bluto would be the cheapest option, Mastodon likely the most expensive and best.

I ran the Lauf one summer along with 29+ carbon wheels. While it was better than rigid, it wasn't good enough for trail riding IMO. I did like it for winter use though.

I've run the Bluto with both 26x4.8 and 29+

If you are riding purely XC with wheels on the ground, you might get away with the Bluto. Anything rowdier than that, go with the Mastodon.

I have no experience with the Wren. I've read they are heavy and not terribly reliable.

I ran a boost Fox 34 combined with 29+ on my Farley 9.6 and it was my favorite combo so far.

Posted: May 2, 2022 at 16:36 Quote
Okay if I get the Manitou Mastodon Pro is the fork design so it will use my standard SRAM ultimate caliper and I just need to get a 180mm rotor? FWIW my current brake mount is posy mount.

Posted: May 2, 2022 at 17:05 Quote
Looks like the pro is a 180 post mount. If you have a 180 front disc, you’re calipers should mount straight on it. Make sure your mounting bolts arent too long if you’re coming from a fork that is a 160 post using a 180 disk. The bolts could bottom out in the mount on the new one. Easy fix would be buying shorter bolts. If you had a 160 disc on a 160 fork your bolts should be correct length.
You’ll also need a crown race. It Probly comes with the star nut.
Edit
If you’re buying a new disc you’ll Probly need to push in the pads when putting the wheel back on, maybe not tho depending on current disc wear.

Posted: May 2, 2022 at 18:59 Quote
I installed a Mastodon pro on a friend's rocky mountain blizzard last winter. I manged to swap the crown race, but it's probably best to get a new one. The brake caliper was a direct swap, but that depends on what you currently have, of course. The new fork didn't come with the star star nut, and the steerer needed to be trimmed. As mentioned by others, the Mastodon is a great trail fork. The travel can be changed without the need to buy extra parts, but it's pretty heavy.

Posted: Mar 31, 2023 at 18:19 Quote
mark027 wrote:
Looks like the pro is a 180 post mount. If you have a 180 front disc, you’re calipers should mount straight on it. Make sure your mounting bolts arent too long if you’re coming from a fork that is a 160 post using a 180 disk. The bolts could bottom out in the mount on the new one. Easy fix would be buying shorter bolts. If you had a 160 disc on a 160 fork your bolts should be correct length.
You’ll also need a crown race. It Probly comes with the star nut.
Edit
If you’re buying a new disc you’ll Probly need to push in the pads when putting the wheel back on, maybe not tho depending on current disc wear.

Posted: Mar 31, 2023 at 18:21 Quote
Can I add a 220 rotor on my Borealis crestone rear wheel?

Posted: Apr 10, 2023 at 1:05 Quote
jsphmil wrote:
Can I add a 220 rotor on my Borealis crestone rear wheel?
What is the rear hub on your bike?

Posted: Aug 3, 2023 at 18:58 Quote
I finally put the Wren fork on my Crestone and went on a week long MTB trip. The Wren made a great bike better. It’s staying unti the snow fkies, I do think the rigid is better in the snow.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011774
Mobile Version of Website