Mullet Fatbike

PB Forum :: Fat Bikes
Mullet Fatbike
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 25, 2022 at 2:02 Quote
Any tried their fatty with mixed wheel sizes? Doing a 1000km+ in the pyrenees on my Surly ICT, and wondering if a 27+ or 29+ wheel in the back, would give fast rolling, with the control and cushioning of my 26x4.8 in the front. With some thought total diameter could be pretty similar so geometry would not be overly affected.
Any thoughts..?

ps. Also considering a full 27.5x4.0 setup if anyone is selling.

Posted: May 25, 2022 at 4:01 Quote
Never done anything that long myself, good for you. First question I’m thinking is what kit support you have? Personally I’d think keeping the same size tires would make it easier for flat tires. I mean if you had a 3.8 and a 4.5 if that’s your thing the tube would fit both. Or if you stick to both 29+. 27+ seems a waste to me.
I like 3.8 a lot and people seem to love 29+.

Posted: Jun 9, 2022 at 20:20 Quote
Generally speaking, people use mullet wheel with large wheel diameter at the front and small wheel diameter at the back, so that the front wheel has better ability to pass through obstacles and grip the ground, and the rear wheel has better rolling and flexible steering ability. However, this will cause two problems. The first is the change of the geometric angle of the frame. You need to adjust the seat, steam, handle, and even the posture when riding to adapt to the change of the center of gravity. The second is that imbalance may occur on level roads and uphill slopes.

If the front wheel has a small diameter and the rear wheel has a large diameter,
Sacrificing the balance of the geometric angle of the frame, what do you want to achieve? The level road or uphill may be unbalanced, and the downhill make the people with bike are easy to roll together ?
So far, the mullet wheel I have sold has not been the one with small wheel diameter in front and large wheel diameter behind. Maybe it is because the carbon fiber wheel set I have sold has not encountered this new requirement.

Posted: Jun 20, 2022 at 14:44 Quote
on the facebook trek farley fanpage a guy did a 27.5x26 mullet. just finished a week or so ago i seen? not sure how it works or reacts. I had a farley 6 and now a 9.6 and the 26x4 was for sure more playful and easier to wheelie.

Posted: Jul 26, 2022 at 8:59 Quote
If you run a 27.5 up front you may have to reduce the fork travel by 10-20mm to preserve the geometry. I bought a Manitou Mastodon Pro EXT to clear a 29" midfat or 27.5x4.6 front tire and wheel set up on my 2016 Salsa Bucksaw carbon (100mm fork travel). The gyroscopic forces created by the massive front wheel outweighed the monster-truck capable front end and traction benefits for me, even in steep and gnarly descents. It also made my seat tube angle even slacker so I think I'l push my fork travel up to 120mm and ditch the 27.5 wheel up front.

Good luck with the race!

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006897
Mobile Version of Website