DJ sizing advice for an Enduro Rider

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
DJ sizing advice for an Enduro Rider
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
FL
Posted: Jun 7, 2022 at 8:45 Quote
Sizing advice:

Hi guys, I'm after my first DJ in about 8 years but unsure on sizing. I have been riding enduro since selling my DJ (2012 Dartmoor 26player).

I'm around 5ft 8/9. My current mtb is a Transition Spire Medium (29er enduro bike) with a reach of 450mm and effective top tube of 580mm. Wheel base is 1259mm.
Those numbers may seem huge but the bike fits perfect and feels a hell of a lot smaller than it should.

So my issue is sizing charts probably say I need a medium frame however considering my background in enduro, not sure if I'd feel more comfortable on a large (the gemoetry on enduros are obviously way longer than DJs)? The bike I'm looking at is a Santa Cruz Jackal in L

Any got some advice? Expensive mistake if it doesn't feel comfortable either way.

I think I'm a bit old and bodies a bit battered for tricks so mainly just looking to flow through some trails more than anything.

Cheers guys.

Alyn

O+
Posted: Jun 7, 2022 at 10:27 Quote
AlynPawlin wrote:
Sizing advice:

Hi guys, I'm after my first DJ in about 8 years but unsure on sizing. I have been riding enduro since selling my DJ (2012 Dartmoor 26player).

I'm around 5ft 8/9. My current mtb is a Transition Spire Medium (29er enduro bike) with a reach of 450mm and effective top tube of 580mm. Wheel base is 1259mm.
Those numbers may seem huge but the bike fits perfect and feels a hell of a lot smaller than it should.

So my issue is sizing charts probably say I need a medium frame however considering my background in enduro, not sure if I'd feel more comfortable on a large (the gemoetry on enduros are obviously way longer than DJs)? The bike I'm looking at is a Santa Cruz Jackal in L

Any got some advice? Expensive mistake if it doesn't feel comfortable either way.

I think I'm a bit old and bodies a bit battered for tricks so mainly just looking to flow through some trails more than anything.

Cheers guys.

Alyn

So you final sentence make the argument for the large. it will still jump and flick and whip around just fine. But if you are not doing bar spins, flips and and lots of "tricks" go with the larger bike. It will still feel small compared to an enduro bike any day. I am right at 5".9" and my DJ has a reach of 410mm I think it feels pretty good but could go longer no problem.

FL
Posted: Jun 7, 2022 at 10:39 Quote
So you final sentence make the argument for the large. it will still jump and flick and whip around just fine. But if you are not doing bar spins, flips and and lots of "tricks" go with the larger bike. It will still feel small compared to an enduro bike any day. I am right at 5".9" and my DJ has a reach of 410mm I think it feels pretty good but could go longer no problem.[/Quote]

That's actually good advice thank you. I think I probably going to get a large. The bike would be more for a fun after work thing at the local pump track and dirt jumps so not looking to barspin or tailwhip anytime soon.
And having looked at the price of second hand frames they are pretty cheap I'd the worst came to it

Posted: Jun 7, 2022 at 11:43 Quote
Go with a Size Long Transition PBJ. Such a sick bike and you can stay in the family

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009273
Mobile Version of Website