Best sealant kit for Nukeproof Giga 297 2022

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Best sealant kit for Nukeproof Giga 297 2022
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 12, 2022 at 9:57 Quote
Hello,

what is the best sealant kit for the Nukeproof Giga 297 2022?
I saw that the bike comes without any kit, so I wonder which one should I use.

What do you think about this kit on Amazon? It should contain all the components: Muc-Off 20087 Ultimate Tubeless Setup Kit

Shall I take the DH Wide or DH/Enduro model?

Posted: Jul 12, 2022 at 15:37 Quote
....what wheels do you have?

Posted: Jul 12, 2022 at 16:54 Quote
Xav90 wrote:
Hello,

What do you think about this kit on Amazon? It should contain all the components: Muc-Off 20087 Ultimate Tubeless Setup Kit

Find out your rim width and get the tape that's a couple millimeters larger. You need the tape to conform to the contour of the rim and just come up the bottom edge of the rim wall. Here's a picture to describe what I mean.

photo

FWIW, when I got a Nukeproof Reactor the wheels came with decent tape already installed. All I needed was sealant and valves. I'd wait and see what is actually installed before buying any tape.

Good luck.

O+
Posted: Jul 12, 2022 at 17:49 Quote
Xav90 wrote:
Hello,

If they are already taped which most modern day mtb come with you just need valves and sealant. I like the Muc off valves personally and they’ve got nice colors. For sealant it’s very debated about the best but personally I’ve got a gallon of slime sealant for bikes which works amazing and has sealed some massive holes in my tire. Muc off is my second choice. I’d get a decent size thing if the sealant as you gotta refresh it once every 6 months or so so you go through a good bit over the years.

Posted: Jul 14, 2022 at 7:56 Quote
If you bought a complete Giga, it will already be taped and have been supplied with valves so you just need to add sealant.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0438/3296/7322/files/How_to_Convert_your_new_Nukeproof_Bike_to_Tubeless.pdf?v=1603895706

Posted: Jul 14, 2022 at 16:20 Quote
Sorry I didn't read in time, I bought the bike already mounted, so the tires were ready, I guess without sealant though, I didn't check...
I don't want to touch it just in case the sealant is not ready yet, suggestions online is to wait 3 days... But I wanna ride this weekend Big Grin , probably Sunday so 3-4 days distance.

I bought the muc-off kit anyway, I think it's widely used...
I'm not sure if the valve is there, I need to check...

Posted: Jul 14, 2022 at 16:21 Quote
kiranseligman wrote:
Xav90 wrote:
Hello,

If they are already taped which most modern day mtb come with you just need valves and sealant. I like the Muc off valves personally and they’ve got nice colors. For sealant it’s very debated about the best but personally I’ve got a gallon of slime sealant for bikes which works amazing and has sealed some massive holes in my tire. Muc off is my second choice. I’d get a decent size thing if the sealant as you gotta refresh it once every 6 months or so so you go through a good bit over the years.

I never used tubeless, do you know how many times I need to roll the rim with the tape?
I've taken a muc-off kit, I hope there is all I need inside Big Grin

Posted: Jul 15, 2022 at 13:22 Quote
Xav90 wrote:
I never used tubeless, do you know how many times I need to roll the rim with the tape?
I've taken a muc-off kit, I hope there is all I need inside Big Grin

Please watch a YouTube video or two to help you do this. It sounds like you’re new to this stuff and it will help I think.
You can tell if a tire has sealant in it a few ways. The sealant will be in a liquid state in the wheel. You can shake the wheel and listen for a sloshing sound. You can deflate the wheel, remove the valve core and use something thin as a dipstick to insert down the valve and into the tire to check the level of the sealant. Or you can deflate the tire and pop a bead off the rim shoulder and look inside the tire and see if there’s sealant inside. I doubt your bike came shipped with sealant but maybe Nukeproof does that now - mine didn’t but that was 2019.
If the wheels already have tubeless tape (as others and I have suggested) then you do not need to wrap any additional tape on the rims. If your wheels do not have tape then you will need to wrap the rim completely and overlap by about 6 inches. The overlap amount isn’t specific but should be adequate to keep the tape from unraveling. If you do put tape on the rim then you need to completely clean the whole thing first. Then your tape has to be very tight and pressed thoroughly against the rim. Then install the valve. Then install your tire. Then put your sealant into the tire.
I don’t know what you mean about waiting 3 days. If your tires are holding air then they should be ready to ride immediately. It sounds like they just need sealant- add the sealant, inflate the tires and you’ll be ready to go.
Sometimes a tubeless setup may slowly leak so always check before each ride and properly inflate your tires. If you find your tires completely flat then you may have to improve your tubeless install.
Good luck.

Posted: Aug 15, 2022 at 3:17 Quote
Thanks everyone, I didn’t have a chance to test it because I’ve sent the bike to warranty for another reason, but thanks everyone.

I just wonder what do you mean that you will need to wrap the rim completely and overlap by about 6 inches.

Posted: Aug 15, 2022 at 7:06 Quote
Xav90 wrote:
Thanks everyone, I didn’t have a chance to test it because I’ve sent the bike to warranty for another reason, but thanks everyone.

I just wonder what do you mean that you will need to wrap the rim completely and overlap by about 6 inches.

What was the warranty item about?

About the rim tape - PLEASE watch a video. If you are applying rim tape for a tubeless setup here's what you do:

Remove wheel from bike
Remove tire from wheel
Remove tubeless valve or tube whichever is installed currently
Remove anything on the rim - if there is a tape or strip on the rim then remove it
Completely clean the rim with isopropyl alcohol - squeaky clean all around
Install tubeless tape all the way around the rim ensuring it is tight and 100% adhered to all shoulders and valleys of the rim. Let it overlap a few inches to prevent unraveling.

Look at the picture:
photo

Good luck

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009660
Mobile Version of Website