Postman Lever Eating Cables

PB Forum :: YT Industries
Postman Lever Eating Cables
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 28, 2022 at 10:23 Quote
I'm replacing my dropper post cable for the second time this season (2021 YT Jeffsy Blaze). The cable keeps getting frayed right at the lever pivot. It wears out just fast enough to be annoying and ruin a ride or two a year. Maybe I just need to get a better lever that pulls the cable with a more gentle radius? Any other suggestions?

The post itself works pretty good. The plastic bushing/collar inside the post needs to be lubricated regularly, but otherwise has been reliable, when the cable is not broken.

Best, JYT

O+
Posted: Aug 28, 2022 at 14:44 Quote
- make sure there are no strange bends or kinks on the housing, as additional friction will cause extra stress on the cable
- coat the new cable with some lubricant (chain dry lube or silicone lube) before inserting in the housing
- add a bit of grease on the cable where it bends around the pivot point
- shorten the housing (YTs come with awfully long cables)
- don't over-tighten the screw that secures the cable, it needs only 1.2Nm

Posted: Aug 29, 2022 at 19:17 Quote
Thanks. I'll give those tips a try. I think the grease on the pivot point might help, the wear always happens right at the radius of the lever. The cable through the housing is super smooth and there does not seem to be any extra tension on the cable. Comparing the Postman lever to other post levers it seems like the Postman has a pretty tight radius, so extra wear is probably inherent to the design.

O+
Posted: Aug 30, 2022 at 11:10 Quote
Difficult to describe, but it seems that the cable has a slight bend right where it goes through the lever (near the pivot point, just before the pinch bolt), as if they drilled the passage hole but didn't smooth it out. I can't say for sure as I would need to remove the cable to see exactly how it looks, but if that's where your cable breaks, you might want to take a small round file (or a piece of sandpaper folded in half) and remove any sharp edges.

O+
Posted: Sep 2, 2022 at 10:54 Quote
We just got a new Jeffsy Smile and since I was shortening all cables, I took the opportunity to remove the Postman lever and look at it carefully. There is definitely a sharp edge where the cable enters through the lever... difficult to say if that's enough to cause problems but just in case I smoothed it out. You can do it without removing the lever, all you need is a small round file. Photos are not very sharp but you get the idea.

Side note: loosening the pivot bolt of the lever allows you to rotate it to your liking (within a certain range).

photo
photo

Posted: Sep 2, 2022 at 15:12 Quote
Are those before & after photos, or both from before modification?

O+
Posted: Sep 2, 2022 at 16:42 Quote
Before and after. The "modification" is truly just a bit of filing done right on the edge, so that the cable sits on a rounder surface. Whether this will make any difference, I do not know. But it certainly doesn't hurt, and it's such a simple thing it's worth trying (as matter of fact, I did it on my own lever, on a brand new bike).

Posted: Oct 30, 2023 at 7:33 Quote
Did same repair, only with a small drill bit. Works great.

O+
Posted: Nov 9, 2023 at 13:30 Quote
Update: over a year since this mod, cable shows no signs of fraying. Definitely recommended. As a matter of fact I contacted SDG and let them know about it.

O+
Posted: Apr 20, 2024 at 7:12 Quote
From a few reviews on the YT postman and cable it might be just me but I have yet to find anyone who did not replace the post and lever soon after they got their YT bike. My post is brand new literally out of the box 2 days ago and for me it is lacking in terms of how fast it pops up after being down and the lever is just nuts I have never had to push a lever in so far to make it engage.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012865
Mobile Version of Website