Chromoly... dmr sect, pbj short or custom need reviews

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Chromoly... dmr sect, pbj short or custom need reviews
Posted: Oct 2, 2022 at 6:37 Quote
gavl79 wrote:
Interesting. I'm planning to replace my DMR Omen frame and I've been looking at the Sect and Zircus as options! Couldn't believe the price of the Zircus (about £100) but sounds like the Sect is far better. You get what you pay for! I'd be interested to hear any other comments comparing the two frames.

The omen is a few years old now but it'll still be a better frame than the zircus. Get the sect, you wont regret it

Posted: Oct 2, 2022 at 8:56 Quote
gavl79 wrote:
Interesting. I'm planning to replace my DMR Omen frame and I've been looking at the Sect and Zircus as options! Couldn't believe the price of the Zircus (about £100) but sounds like the Sect is far better. You get what you pay for! I'd be interested to hear any other comments comparing the two frames.

I'm my case it was, the dmr sect has the geometry that fits my body better

Posted: Oct 3, 2022 at 0:57 Quote
stoobot wrote:
gavl79 wrote:

The omen is a few years old now but it'll still be a better frame than the zircus. Get the sect, you wont regret it

The omen is ancient in bike terms, 10 years old but won't die! Not strictly a jump bike but I can pedal it round too. I'll stick with DMR, but I was amazed at the price CRC/Wiggle have those Zircus frames for.

Posted: Oct 3, 2022 at 0:59 Quote
Gumby510 wrote:
gavl79 wrote:

I'd appreciate that extra bit of reach on the Sect too. Your build looks sweet, I've always preferred steel frames for the look and feel.

Posted: Oct 3, 2022 at 12:33 Quote
gavl79 wrote:
Gumby510 wrote:
gavl79 wrote:

I'd appreciate that extra bit of reach on the Sect too. Your build looks sweet, I've always preferred steel frames for the look and feel.

Just in case you weren't aware. Only the custom frame only option has the 415mm reach. Both the completes are 397mm reach.

Posted: Oct 5, 2022 at 10:28 Quote
Gumby510 wrote:
The new frame showed up. Weight with 2 different scales 1 at 5lb 1oz the other at 5lb 3oz so I'll settle on 5lb 2oz=82oz=2.32kg.
8oz heavier that's acceptable.
Welds and finish look really good.
180mm rotor fits
32t chainring fits

I also am a zircus rider thinking about upgrading to steel, do you think a 36t would fit the sect? I currently run one on my zircus with no issues, though it also says 32 max I think

Posted: Oct 5, 2022 at 17:35 Quote
allsk8sno wrote:
Gumby510 wrote:
The new frame showed up. Weight with 2 different scales 1 at 5lb 1oz the other at 5lb 3oz so I'll settle on 5lb 2oz=82oz=2.32kg.
180mm rotor fits
32t chainring fits

I also am a zircus rider thinking about upgrading to steel, do you think a 36t would fit the sect? I currently run one on my zircus with no issues, though it also says 32 max I think

I don't think a 36t would fit. A 34t will but you would have to space out from the bottom bracket.

I had a spacer on my bottom bracket (shimano saint) and had a 32t oval on.

I'm actually doing a new gearing and crank setup. I'm switching to the shadow conspiracy finest cranks a profile ti spindle and imperial sprocket. Going from 16-32 to 14-30t.

Posted: Oct 6, 2022 at 5:00 Quote
Gumby510 wrote:
gavl79 wrote:
Gumby510 wrote:

Just in case you weren't aware. Only the custom frame only option has the 415mm reach. Both the completes are 397mm reach.

Yeah, I saw that on the DMR website and thought it was a mistake at first, so I checked with them. I'd be going with frame only, but thanks for the heads up!

FL
Posted: Oct 6, 2022 at 5:07 Quote
Have you thought aboot an NS Majesty? Deffo THE nicest DJ frame I've ever ridden an coming from a Zircus it will feel very similar. Octane One are NS's budget brand an (this used to be the case but, not sure if it still is) the Zircus is a cheaper version of a Majesty. Comes in dirt (long) an park (short). the dirt should give you the extra weelbase/reach

Posted: Oct 6, 2022 at 8:58 Quote
Gumby510 wrote:
allsk8sno wrote:
Gumby510 wrote:
180mm rotor fits
32t chainring fits

I don't think a 36t would fit. A 34t will but you would have to space out from the bottom bracket.

I'm actually doing a new gearing and crank setup. I'm switching to the shadow conspiracy finest cranks a profile ti spindle and imperial sprocket. Going from 16-32 to 14-30t.

Interesting as I run 15-36, but 13-32 or so might be fine, ever since I saw matt jones running oval I've wanted to try it, do you notice it pedaling into jumps?

I've wanted a majesty dirt but price is just not what I want to spend

Posted: Oct 6, 2022 at 9:59 Quote
naptime wrote:
Have you thought aboot an NS Majesty? Deffo THE nicest DJ frame I've ever ridden an coming from a Zircus it will feel very similar. Octane One are NS's budget brand an (this used to be the case but, not sure if it still is) the Zircus is a cheaper version of a Majesty. Comes in dirt (long) an park (short). the dirt should give you the extra weelbase/reach

I did, originally the majesty dirt was the dream frame but the reach is 405mm which is shorter than I wanted. If it would have been 410mm I could have run a 40mm stem to get same effective reach. After riding on the zircus for a bit I got an idea of what geo specs I liked and what ones I didnt.

Posted: Oct 6, 2022 at 10:20 Quote
allsk8sno wrote:
Gumby510 wrote:
allsk8sno wrote:

Interesting as I run 15-36, but 13-32 or so might be fine, ever since I saw matt jones running oval I've wanted to try it, do you notice it pedaling into jumps?

I've wanted a majesty dirt but price is just not what I want to spend

I noticed some difference. The ovals are more noticeable on my trail and city bikes. The only real downside to the oval on a dj is the variable chain tension.
The majesty ticked a lot of boxes for me but in the end the geo and price the sect was a better fit.

Posted: Oct 9, 2022 at 2:05 Quote
naptime wrote:

Thats not even close to being right,

The Zircus is alloy and is the same frame NS use for the movement complete which is a cheaper version of the decade frame.

The majesty is a sick frame but i'm not sure id take it over the sect

Posted: Oct 9, 2022 at 6:01 Quote
Here it is with the new cranks and gearing.
photo
Took it out yesterday on some trails and a asphalt pump track. I'm incredibly happy with the setup now. The only thing I may do is go back to billy bonkers tires if I'm going to continue doing mixed surface riding.
I'm running the 22mm shadow conspiracy finest cranks
Profile imperial sprocket and titanium spindle.

Posted: Oct 9, 2022 at 8:44 Quote
Gumby510 wrote:
Here it is with the new cranks and gearing.
photo
Took it out yesterday on some trails and a asphalt pump track. I'm incredibly happy with the setup now. The only thing I may do is go back to billy bonkers tires if I'm going to continue doing mixed surface riding.
I'm running the 22mm shadow conspiracy finest cranks
Profile imperial sprocket and titanium spindle.

have you seen the new 2.25 billy bonkers? I've just got set but havnt had chance to ride them yet. They look like a better alround tyre than the 2.1s

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012391
Mobile Version of Website