Found my unicorn. 2000 Kona Score 18"

PB Forum :: Vintage and Fixed Gear Bikes
Found my unicorn. 2000 Kona Score 18"
  • Previous Page
Posted: Oct 6, 2022 at 14:34 Quote
Been on the hunt for this bike for a LONG time. Missed it during it's year of production & even then there was no way I could afford the $1700 frame or $4500 bike.... But I gots one now!

photo

O+
Posted: Oct 7, 2022 at 10:07 Quote
Nice find! What's the plan for components?

Posted: Oct 7, 2022 at 10:31 Quote
It's built up now, but not the final build.

Eventually I want a Shiver SC & some better wheels.

Change the XTR crank out for an Isis Raceface Next LP crank, matches the sticker & I love those cranks.

photo

Posted: Oct 7, 2022 at 10:39 Quote
It's pretty rad, long top tube for the time allows for a nice shorter 70mm stem & wide bars.

Went with modern brakes, had to change from the XTR 9 speed shifters as they did not play well with the newer levers

photo
photo

Posted: Oct 12, 2022 at 4:53 Quote
Very nice indeed!

Posted: Oct 13, 2022 at 10:29 Quote
I've been hunting for a better wheelset for the Score, wanted something with high end hubs that can convert from QR to 20mm.... I think that's asking to much.

Came up with a solution as I wait for an affordable Shiver SC to come up (I'll likely have a long wait) so yesterday I bought a parts bike, has the wheels I need to trade with another bike that does not need the disc CK hubs.... Downside is those wheels are both snowflake laced & are pingy as heck when riding... But I can live with that.

Freshly cleaned CK Classics for the Bianchi...holy moly they were NASTY! Cleaned up well though.
Cleaned CK Classic

Bianchi doesn't need the disc hubs...

photo

Posted: Nov 8, 2022 at 10:34 Quote
Finally got had a chance to get this built up. Pretty rad, as it's my most modern hardtail. Brakes work SO much better than old canti's obviously. Front forks are pretty ideal for the limited amount of gnar this hits right now, which is none.
photo

Swapping out the seatpost for a Thomson 30mm & ditching the seatpost shim, will be using antisieze. Didn't quite trust the old carbon post, although it did look nice.

Will be patiently waiting for a Shiver SC to come along & will be on the lookout for a nice black CK 20mm front hub for that as well.

In the mean time, outside of looking for a new saddle (WTB Volt off of a '14 Kona 167 would be ideal) I'd say it's done enough. Of course I will be swapping out cranks at some point... and pedals, quick releases...
photo

O+
Posted: Nov 15, 2022 at 6:12 Quote
This looks awesome! What's the spacing like in the back for that rear hub 20mm -> QR conversion?

Posted: Nov 15, 2022 at 13:18 Quote
It's just a standard Chris King Classic hub in the pic, 135X10 or 9.

I had that classic hub partially apart for a ring drive lube service. The only CK hubs I've had the pleasure of owning are usually not cared for very well. The Classic rear still needs a tear down of the freewheel to clean the needle bearing & other bearing... I think. I bit the bullet & bought the CK hub tool as I have 3 sets of vintage CK hubs laying around & enough credit at the local bike Co-op to essentially walk out the door with only paying tax. So that's what I did.

The CK ISO hubs that went on the Score also the old 135mm rear hub with QR received a full tear down. One o-ring on the drive(n?) ring was a little torn and was replaced, as well as a bearing seal retainer ring I didn't seat fully and came lose & got bent. First time completely tearing down a CK hub, it took a minute to get acquainted with the tool & which bits needed to be used... but it worked out well enough. Not terribly ugly inside bit they are nice and smooth now.

Chris King Universal Hub Tool

Chris King Iso Classic

photo

Posted: Nov 15, 2022 at 14:15 Quote
sub'd nice build eshew..!

Posted: Nov 15, 2022 at 14:37 Quote
Will be slow going from here... Although I guess I could get off my lazy butt & do the BB & Cranks... but I'll wait for rain. I need to get all the riding in I can before it's to wet. & I don't want something to go wrong & leave me stranded 15 miles out in 35 degree weather in the dark. plenty of excuses Smile

New Thomson post & stainless steel Hope QR's. Apparently Chris King doesn't recommend Ti quick releases. Just the excuse I needed.

photo

Posted: Mar 17, 2023 at 11:06 Quote
well.....that just looks fun as hell. nice job tup

Posted: May 5, 2023 at 4:49 Quote
All I can say is - don't give up the hunt.

If you want a shiver SC, then you also want a bomber RAC, millennium, and a few others. They show up randomly on ebay, and usually are a total c*** to deal with.....but it's kinda worth the wait.

Ride whatcha got, and enjoy!...because the instant older bits hit yer frame, the less you'll enjoy, and the more you'll want the OTHER older, more complicated garbage. It's a rule. Shitty old bits, make you want to compare to other shitty old bits. You'll pay ten times what you should for all of them, to find out that they are, in fact, shitty old bits....

Know anyone who wants to buy a RockShox Psylo?

Yeah. It's like that, but a lot more expensive.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.037214
Mobile Version of Website