Crazy idea? Angle headset from 65.6 to 63.6 degree head angle

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Crazy idea? Angle headset from 65.6 to 63.6 degree head angle
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 5, 2022 at 22:22 Quote
Currently I own a large Whyte s-150crs v2 (link is the aluminium version, but the geo is the same). I've upgraded the rear shock with an EXT Storia and added higher rise bars. Stock otherwise. It has a 56.6 degree head angle.

After recently trying out a Transition Patrol at the bike, I was blown away by the confidence and fun I had with the much slacker head tube angle (63.5 degrees), despite it being a medium size when I should be on a large.

There is technically an extra 10mm of travel on each shock over my bike, but otherwise the Transition seems to be almost identical geo wise to my Whyte, ignoring the head tube and seat tube angles. The chain stay and reach are almost identical for example.

After riding that bike down our bike park, I thought about trying one of those Work Components angle headsets to slacken my bike by 1 or 1.5 or 2 degrees! And then lengthen my Pike form from 150mm to 160mm of travel, which should help it
mostly maintain the same geo in other areas. Doing this with a 2 degrees angle headset would probably slacken my head angle to about 63.1 degree head angle. Might be a bit steeper (63.5), not 100% sure how all the calculations work in the end.

Is this a crazy idea with my current bike!?

Posted: Nov 6, 2022 at 1:19 Quote
Nothing stopping you from trying it. FYI, because of how the headset swings the front wheel up and away, 2⁰ ends up more like 1.5⁰

Posted: Nov 6, 2022 at 1:39 Quote
TimMog wrote:
Nothing stopping you from trying it. FYI, because of how the headset swings the front wheel up and away, 2⁰ ends up more like 1.5⁰

Right. So maybe with the 2 degree headset combined with a 10mm fork length increase, it'll just end up as 2 degrees overall. That's perfect probably.

FL
Posted: Nov 6, 2022 at 6:19 Quote
Works components is a great company. I have had several of their headsets and are found on top dh pros bikes. If you are unsure of what fits your bike email him your specs

Posted: Nov 6, 2022 at 12:54 Quote
It may void your warranty?

Posted: Nov 6, 2022 at 14:20 Quote
BarneyStinson wrote:
It may void your warranty?

Probably, but I don't have much warranty left on it anyway.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007550
Mobile Version of Website