photo
https://ep5.pinkbike.org/photo/2197/pbpic2197760.jpg

Posted: Jul 15, 2008 at 7:24 Quote
Hombre3000 wrote:
rancidfan05 wrote:
Thats true, but that doesn't change the geometry at all

Fine, you got me. It's not geometry.

Er yes it is.

There are many potential benefits to 24" wheels.

Posted: Jul 15, 2008 at 7:25 Quote
what would you guys (and girls) say that are the best and worst things about 24" wheels?

Posted: Jul 15, 2008 at 7:26 Quote
Katol wrote:
what would you guys (and girls) say that are the best and worst things about 24" wheels?

nooooooooooo. theres so many threads.

Posted: Jul 15, 2008 at 8:05 Quote
not mine but its cool
photo

Posted: Jul 15, 2008 at 14:45 Quote
theoutpost wrote:
Hombre3000 wrote:
rancidfan05 wrote:
Thats true, but that doesn't change the geometry at all

Er yes it is.

Sorry, I wasn't clear here. The only difference I can see happening from going from 26s to 24s on a 26 inch specific frame is that the whole bike is lowered an inch. Meaning the BB height will be lowered an inch. Standover too.

If there are any other differences in geometry I would be happy to hear them, from reading your posts here you know more than me, so I'll be glad to here what you have to say.

Posted: Jul 15, 2008 at 14:53 Quote
rancidfan05 wrote:
theoutpost wrote:
Hombre3000 wrote:

Er yes it is.

Sorry, I wasn't clear here. The only difference I can see happening from going from 26s to 24s on a 26 inch specific frame is that the whole bike is lowered an inch. Meaning the BB height will be lowered an inch. Standover too.

If there are any other differences in geometry I would be happy to hear them, from reading your posts here you know more than me, so I'll be glad to here what you have to say.
would the wheel base change slightly due to the lowering of the bike due to smaller wheels and the head angle if you get what i mean. not sure though

Posted: Jul 15, 2008 at 15:18 Quote
Maybe by a few mms, nothing noticeable I would think.

If I'm wrong, correct me.

Head angle wouldnt, because the same amount is being removed from each wheel.

Posted: Jul 15, 2008 at 15:34 Quote
rancidfan05 wrote:
Maybe by a few mms, nothing noticeable I would think.

If I'm wrong, correct me.

Head angle wouldnt, because the same amount is being removed from each wheel.
sorry i phrased it wronge-i didnt mean the head angle would change, i meant that the wheelbase would change because of the bike lowering and because of the head angle the bike would get shorter if you get what i mean

Posted: Jul 15, 2008 at 15:36 Quote
The wheelbase would be about an inch shorter depending on the frame manufacturer. Also 24" frames have to work around 26" forks meaning geometry is often changed (they definitely handle differently).

Non geo benefits included lighter rotational weight, faster acceleration, more maneuverable in the air, more foot-tyre clearance when bar-spinning, slightly stronger wheel. Of course these are all dependent on the manufacturers design.

Posted: Jul 15, 2008 at 15:49 Quote
Wouldn't the head angle have to be 45 degrees for to take an inch off of the wheelbase? Because then its always a square. I don't really know how to explain this, but I'll give it a try. Take a square that is 5x5", put a line diagonally across from one corner to the opposite one. then take off an inch off of top. Draw a line from the line from where you took an inch off. It will hit the bottom line at 4 inches.

I don't know how to explain this in english, all my math classes are in french. If it doesn't make sense tell me.

Posted: Jul 15, 2008 at 15:51 Quote
rancidfan05 wrote:
Wouldn't the head angle have to be 45 degrees for to take an inch off of the wheelbase? Because then its always a square. I don't really know how to explain this, but I'll give it a try. Take a square that is 5x5", put a line diagonally across from one corner to the opposite one. then take off an inch off of top. Draw a line from the line from where you took an inch off. It will hit the other line at 4 inches. I don't know how to explain this in english, all my math classes are in french. If it doesn't make sense tell me.
yer something like that

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.040023
Mobile Version of Website