TRP DH-R EVO brakes

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
TRP DH-R EVO brakes
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 8, 2023 at 9:45 Quote
I just bought a set of TRP DHR EVO brakes for my 2022 Firebird. I also am using the TRP 2.3 rotors with them. I am a big fan of the MTX gold ceramic gold pads so I installed a set on the new brakes. After installing the brakes on the bike and getting a good bleed on them, I went out and did the proper bed in process but I just cant get the pads to bite down on the rotor. I made sure after the bleed that I sprayed the calipers with alochol to make sure and not contaminate the pads when installing. I also wiped down the rotors with alcohol before as well so there is no contamination. I just cant get these brakes to even lock up the rear wheel. Does anybody have a suggestion on a particular brand of pads that bite harder for the TRP brakes. I had Shimano Saints before and they were so powerful, they would flip me over the bars if I squeezed too hard! Thank you!

Posted: Jan 8, 2023 at 10:40 Quote
i used mine with Shimano Metal pads, Took awhile to bed in, but once they did they slow you down so well and fast.
TRP brakes are Favoured by WC dh riders for the fact they dont "lock up" easily - they provide a smooth solid power application. They are a bit finicky to setup with a small free stroke(rubbing) and 1 of mine leaked around the bleed screw on caliper.

I was amazed how much better TRP brakes were actually slowing me vs my XT's If i wanted to brake that hard on XT's id be locking my wheels.

Posted: Jan 10, 2023 at 5:36 Quote
EvolutionMTBer wrote:
i used mine with Shimano Metal pads, Took awhile to bed in, but once they did they slow you down so well and fast.
TRP brakes are Favoured by WC dh riders for the fact they dont "lock up" easily - they provide a smooth solid power application. They are a bit finicky to setup with a small free stroke(rubbing) and 1 of mine leaked around the bleed screw on caliper.

I was amazed how much better TRP brakes were actually slowing me vs my XT's If i wanted to brake that hard on XT's id be locking my wheels.

My new bike came with TRP's E23 four pots. Not had a chance to try them on an actual trail but the front in particular is less bitey than the rear and makes an odd sound on contact with the pad...... So far, I'm loving my Saints way more but will give it time. Can I ask which pads you used?

Cheers

FL
Posted: Jan 10, 2023 at 8:55 Quote
pads? just the shimano xt metal pads - D02S-MX i believe.

Posted: Jan 10, 2023 at 10:47 Quote
Im a huge Saint fan. I have them on my e bike and the best pads Ive used so far are the MTX gold pads. Huge difference in stopping power!

Posted: Jan 10, 2023 at 12:42 Quote
HeatedRotor wrote:
pads? just the shimano xt metal pads - D02S-MX i believe.

Cool, thanks. Will have a look.

Posted: Jan 10, 2023 at 12:43 Quote
Alexgben1 wrote:
Im a huge Saint fan. I have them on my e bike and the best pads Ive used so far are the MTX gold pads. Huge difference in stopping power!

Yeah, they are the best brakes I've ever used. Solid and consistent.

O+
Posted: Jan 11, 2023 at 18:37 Quote
Anyone elses factory pads seem like they're too small for the spacer/spring? When I brake they make a clicking sound as the bass are moving against the spring.

Posted: Jan 12, 2023 at 1:23 Quote
Kango wrote:
Anyone elses factory pads seem like they're too small for the spacer/spring? When I brake they make a clicking sound as the bass are moving against the spring.

Hmm, not heard that yet..... Mine are probably still bedding in so will see how they develop. Maybe try swapping them with the rears and see if the click follows?

O+
Posted: Jan 15, 2023 at 15:33 Quote
Kango wrote:

So I had this same problem but with Galfer and MTX rattling in the caliper over successive small bumps. I just spread the spring slightly to hold the pads a little tighter against the pistons and haven’t had an issue since.

O+
Posted: Jan 15, 2023 at 22:29 Quote
Alloypenguin wrote:
Kango wrote:

Hmm, not heard that yet..... Mine are probably still bedding in so will see how they develop. Maybe try swapping them with the rears and see if the click follows?

Tried swapping both sets and different springs. They are the factory TRP organics.

Posted: Jan 16, 2023 at 3:18 Quote
Kango wrote:
Alloypenguin wrote:
Kango wrote:

Tried swapping both sets and different springs. They are the factory TRP organics.

Yeah, tricky....I've only had noise issues with pad to disk contact and there were also the factory organic pads. Might have a word with TRP..See what their customer service is like.

Posted: Jan 18, 2023 at 6:53 Quote
Why not use the TRP blue resin pads? I've had nothing but success with them. Incredibly grippy.

O+
Posted: Jan 18, 2023 at 7:25 Quote
I use the TRP sintered pads and remember it taking longer to bed in than other brakes I've used in the past. I remember being in the same situation thinking I'd made a mistake in buying these brakes. Keep at it, try find a longer, steeper hill to bed them in and you wont be disappointed...best brakes I've used! Maybe the fact that the rotors are thicker, it takes longer to reach the necessary temps to bed in?

Posted: Jan 19, 2023 at 6:40 Quote
Its the pale blue Resin pads I'm using. Maybe just a bad batch.......
yeah, I'll hang on to them a bit longer and see how it goes. Could just be the cold (icy) damp conditions...

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010980
Mobile Version of Website