Argyle 409 to soft? what to do?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Argyle 409 to soft? what to do?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 14, 2008 at 18:04 Quote
alright so i was messing around with my argyle 409 the other day and i have been loosing stifness for a while. its probly i just need oil but yesterday i took all the air out and there was no compression at all. i could push the lower crown all the way up to the upper crown. there is oil in it but im not sure how much. the first thing i did was put the air pressure back in and it didnt seem to do anything. what should i do? i am going to try to get some more oil in it tomorrow. is there anything else i should do or check to fix it?
thanks
Sam

Posted: Mar 14, 2008 at 18:06 Quote
check if there is oil or a lot of gross stuff on your stanchions. It sounds like it could be a blown seal or that you just need to get your air pressure at the right level. Look in the manual that came on your fork for air pressure levels.

Posted: Mar 14, 2008 at 18:11 Quote
The 409 is Air sprung. If you take all the air out of it, there is nothing to spring it back. JUst put hte air back in to the correct pressure and see what happens. Im not sure if it is good for the fork to let it all out. If it doesnt go back to normal, than you might have blown an air seal.

~Mark

Posted: Mar 14, 2008 at 18:20 Quote
well the argyle's take allot of air,for a guy that weighs around 200 you need 190psi if im not mistaking,my friend has one and i took all the air it and there was no rebound,no compression. other then that read the owners manual

Posted: Mar 14, 2008 at 18:26 Quote
pump it up to the weight chart on the back close the floodgate if you want it stiffer, and then turn up the compression. if theres no air theres no pressure holding up your fork. I run my argyle at 220psi its at 65mm so thats why and my floodgate closed and one clcik befor lock out

Posted: Mar 14, 2008 at 18:43 Quote
yeah i had maybe 200 psi in it befor. i like my fork to be stiff when im jumping. and who ever mentioned the air seal that could be it. now that i think about it that would solve a lot. because after it was super loose i got freaked out and pumped the fork back to 150, and then 200. when it was at 200 it seemed looser than ithase ever felt at that level befor. oh and another thing i shoudl mention is that maybe 6 months ago i took the fork apart to check out the insides so when i did that there was a little oil that came out with the compression adjuster. so i have not replaced the oil since then. just been using the air to keep the fork up. so that may have put extra pressure on the air seal? could it?
any way i think tomorrow i am going to see if adding a little oil will fix all this up. but if it dosnt does anyone know about how much the air seal may cost?
thanks
Sam

Posted: Mar 14, 2008 at 18:48 Quote
20$ arcording to a site I was on for all rock shox air system rebuilds

Posted: Mar 15, 2008 at 18:26 Quote
Removing all the air and compressing the fork is always a bad idea, you may have dislodged something inside. If it doesn't feel the same back up at the original pressure, something is wrong, and that something can't be fixed by pumping it up more, or adding oil. I think you are going to have to send the fork back and have it serviced.

Posted: Mar 16, 2008 at 0:11 Quote
kopp-productions wrote:
Removing all the air and compressing the fork is always a bad idea, you may have dislodged something inside. If it doesn't feel the same back up at the original pressure, something is wrong, and that something can't be fixed by pumping it up more, or adding oil. I think you are going to have to send the fork back and have it serviced.
unfortunatly i think your right. i tried adding air and all that and nothing has changed at all. i now look back and wish i was never bored and had the fork just sitting there in my roomConfused

Posted: Jan 21, 2009 at 22:08 Quote
i just got my fork and i have it set to like 165-170 and im like 160 ish
and i am just confused about the flood gate which way is open and closed as well as what exactly does it do when open / closed
sorry new to air forks i usally ride coil
thanks

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010254
Mobile Version of Website