Powered by Outside

Lightest rim brake wheelset for the money?

PB Forum :: Road Cycling and Touring
Lightest rim brake wheelset for the money?

Author Message
Posted: Mar 18, 2023 at 8:30 Quote
Building up a new cervelo S2 from 2012 to be my lightweight do it all bike, haven’t had a rim brake bike in over a decade lol. Looking at wheels it seems like they all gained weight? Wtf. Literally everything I see is 15-1600g for a 40-50mm set. I want to say I remember wheels being about a thousand bucks and 1150ish back then…

Anyways, don’t want to spend a fortune but want something light. 4-700$ ideally and 40-45 ideal 50mm max.
Can’t run a tire wider than 25 so want a pretty narrow rim.
Thanks!

Posted: Mar 18, 2023 at 17:09 Quote
I’d love to see others jump in here and disprove me….. but I think you’re looking for something that doesn’t exist. I’ve been looking for a set of rim brake clinchers for one of my bikes for some time. The pricing is nuts.

Now, I know Tubular is a dirty word now, but if you are willing to deal with the hell of living with them, then you can find all the major brands in good shape for like $400. I think there are some Zipps up on a PB listing right now for that.

I still would not buy the Tubulars personally. I’d be patient and expand your budget. $1000 will get you some good clinchers in the ballpark of 1350 grams.

Posted: Mar 18, 2023 at 19:03 Quote
ENVE ses 5.6 may be a rim brake option, could maybe be pick up pre-owned set with hopefully the Chris King hubs.

Posted: Mar 22, 2023 at 20:09 Quote
thanks. ended up getting some custom ones ordered and rush build and rush ship. fingers crossed they roll in at the estimated 1480g for the pair of 50mm's

Posted: Mar 22, 2023 at 20:49 Quote
You can only but hope @GunsCarsBikesCigars.

  • Previous Page
  • Next Page

 


Copyright © 2000 - 2026. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006093
Mobile Version of Website