888 Oil Change

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
888 Oil Change
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 15, 2008 at 9:59 Quote
As it's nearly spring now I've begun to prepare for the upcoming season and have got a question regarding changing the oil in a 888RC. I bought the fork new near the end of the summer and it's about time that it gets it's original oil changed. So heres my question:

Do I need to break the fork down entirely, as in pulling the lowers, etc? Can I just pop the top caps dump the oil, cycle the damper a few times to expel any oil in the damper and then just put fresh oil in it?

Posted: Mar 15, 2008 at 10:10 Quote
if the coming out oil is relatively clean then I'd not disassemble the fork entirely, but if it's not then I'd want to clean everything inside (as I had to with my 888s)

Posted: Mar 15, 2008 at 10:13 Quote
dhcyc wrote:
if the coming out oil is relatively clean then I'd not disassemble the fork entirely, but if it's not then I'd want to clean everything inside (as I had to with my 888s)

Alright! I'll do that. Thanks for the quick reply.

look here

it's best to take it all apart, just to make sure it's nice and clean.

If the oil is clean you're fine with that method as it's an open bath. For future reference: Marzocchi forks benefit TREMENDOUSLY from changing the oil after they are broken in. You should have changed it after a month then from there every 8 months or so. Their forks feel amazing after that initial oil change.

Posted: Mar 15, 2008 at 10:18 Quote
Wow, I've never changed the oil in my '06 888. I guess I should.
(It still works great, even though I've done zero maintenance to it.)

Posted: Mar 15, 2008 at 10:20 Quote
DavidMakalaster wrote:
If the oil is clean you're fine with that method as it's an open bath. For future reference: Marzocchi forks benefit TREMENDOUSLY from changing the oil after they are broken in. You should have changed it after a month then from there every 8 months or so. Their forks feel amazing after that initial oil change.

Thats good to know. Is the benefit a long term one? Or is it just that'll perform better with the oil changed after the first month?

What do you guys recommend for oil? I know Marzocchi uses Golden Spectro, but isn't it the same thing as the fork oil you buy at a Moto shop for 1/10 of the price?

Posted: Mar 15, 2008 at 10:24 Quote
dowst wrote:
What do you guys recommend for oil? I know Marzocchi uses Golden Spectro, but isn't it the same thing as the fork oil you buy at a Moto shop for 1/10 of the price?
Just make sure you use the proper weight oil, as this will affect the fork's performance for your weight/riding style.

Posted: Mar 15, 2008 at 11:08 Quote
if you use other oil weight you can adjust the fork, but it may not be easy if you put 15w or so. for me 5w is fine. And yup, you're right, my fork after the first oil change completely changed the way it worked, gained a lot of sensitivity and smoothness, got pics of the old oil, which explain it...

photo

if your oil looks like that sh*t then you'd better clean the fork, dampers, everythin...

Posted: Mar 15, 2008 at 11:15 Quote
Instead of breaking the fork down, would it be possible to dump the oil, put new stuff in, cycle the suspension a bit to get the oil flowing through the dampers etc, and then dump the oil again? Seems like it would clean and rinse the system.

I know it would be a waste of oil, but the stuff is really inexpensive at a MX shop and would save me a bunch of time. What do you think?

Anyone experimented with Teflon additives?

By the way, thanks for the informative responses guys!

Posted: Mar 15, 2008 at 11:32 Quote
if the extracted oil is really impure then it's best to clean everything with your own hands cause the dirt particles settled everywhere inside may not completely come off when you put some of fresh oil and try to clean the fork with it. Another important thing is cleaning the seals, there is always some dirt. all in all if you're to service your fork every 10-12 months I think it's better to do it all at one time Smile

Posted: Mar 15, 2008 at 11:36 Quote
dhcyc wrote:
if the extracted oil is really impure then it's best to clean everything with your own hands cause the dirt particles settled everywhere inside may not completely come off when you put some of fresh oil and try to clean the fork with it. Another important thing is cleaning the seals, there is always some dirt. all in all if you're to service your fork every 10-12 months I think it's better to do it all at one time Smile

Good point about the seals. Looks like I'll just open it up.

Thanks for the replies Pimp

Posted: Jun 24, 2008 at 11:58 Quote
see if the oil is dirty

Posted: Mar 19, 2009 at 9:55 Quote
i was just wondering could someone tell me what kind of oild should i use when changing oil in my 888 rc2x? 2006 model ? cheers

Posted: Mar 19, 2009 at 10:02 Quote
dunno what brands you got there but here we use Motul, Motorex or any other for oil, I suggest 5W

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.021036
Mobile Version of Website