I have a problem.

• Next Page
Posted: May 5, 2023 at 12:00 Quote
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
Why do I feel the need for something new? What problem am I really trying to solve beyond the fun of novelty. How can I get over this?

I think this kind of tendency just exists for a lot of the core of the sport. We create our own problems to look for solutions because frankly, building shit and geeking out on bikes is fun, whether or not we've already been walking for miles on the diminishing returns plateau.

Its all about a different level of fun and enjoyment, not improvement. There's still always going to be that 17 year old kid on a clapped out entry level bike that's never been serviced running full open rebound and 40 psi Nevegals who's faster than literally everyone at the trail.

Honestly I have the same problem, I just refocused my obsessiveness into skiing since I can pick up a full quiver for the next 10 years with what it would cost me to accomplish any one of my two wheel projects.

O+
Posted: May 5, 2023 at 12:06 Quote
HaggeredShins wrote:
There's still always going to be that 17 year old kid on a clapped out entry level bike that's never been serviced running full open rebound and 40 psi Nevegals who's faster than literally everyone at the trail.

lol Funny but often true!

I've reached a place where I'm happy enough with my bikes not to get the urge to replace them, but I still have occasional daydreams about upgrades or n+1 (should I get a short travel full sus to fit between my 160/150 full sus and my 140mm hardtail? no, but it would be fun).

Changing tyres can be a cost-effective way of changing how a bike feels for some variety, I've enjoyed having some XC/light trail pattern tyres on the hardtail over summer.

O+
Posted: May 5, 2023 at 13:42 Quote
[Quote="Gravelben"]
HaggeredShins wrote:
There's still always going to be that 17 year old kid on a clapped out entry level bike that's never been serviced running full open rebound and 40 psi Nevegals who's faster than literally everyone at the trail.

Hate that kid! (jealous)

O+
Posted: May 5, 2023 at 13:43 Quote
Gravelben wrote:
HaggeredShins wrote:

lol Funny but often true!

I've reached a place where I'm happy enough with my bikes not to get the urge to replace them, but I still have occasional daydreams about upgrades or n+1 (should I get a short travel full sus to fit between my 160/150 full sus and my 140mm hardtail? no, but it would be fun).

Changing tyres can be a cost-effective way of changing how a bike feels for some variety, I've enjoyed having some XC/light trail pattern tyres on the hardtail over summer.

tires give a great bang for your obsessive buck. Sometimes they don't wear out fast enough!

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011563
Mobile Version of Website