Huckleberry's COC Block (Knock Block replacement) adapter review

PB Forum :: Trek
Huckleberry's COC Block (Knock Block replacement) adapter review
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
FL
Posted: Jun 9, 2023 at 2:25 Quote
Huckleberry’s COC Block Review.

Having purchased a 2020 Trek Remedy one of my first observations was how much the knock block severely compromised the choice of aftermarket spacer/stem combinations. To this end, I immediately started looking at other solutions. After some research, I found the following options.

• Remove the knock block entirely.
• Fit a stem spacer like the Reverse Components Angle Spacer.
• Fit a 9point8 Slack-R kit.
• Fit the Trek knock block lock ring spacer.

I did not want to remove the system entirely and run the risk of damaging my frame and I did not want to fit anything that would alter the frame geometry. I also read that in some cases the spacers did not always give the necessary clearance depending on frame/fork combination so I opted for the Trek adapter.

Even before fitting it I had concerns about whether it was fit for purpose and my concerns were confirmed after fitting. The item itself was of reasonable quality but was hopelessly under-engineered. The recommended torque setting of 2Nm meant I could easily turn the bars past their allowed movement simply by gripping the wheel with one hand and pushing the bars with the other. Even after going past the recommended setting to 4Nm, it still slipped. I refrained from tightening further as I felt the thread would strip. I was left feeling that Trek had seriously messed up on this design approach (I’ve always had a dislike for proprietary solutions). My thoughts back then were that Trek should have offered a double height lock ring spacer that would offer a bit more Oomph.

Back in December 2022 I posted my thoughts on the ‘Ditching the Knock Block' thread (https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=217632&pagenum=1) and Huckleberrys replied saying they were working on exactly that solution. A short time after, they had started producing them and were available for purchase on eBay. Straight away I knew I had to get one.

I’m happy to say it has now arrived and I am not disappointed.

Initial Impressions.

photo
photo

Simple, yet effective packaging. The whole set comes in a plastic re-sealable bag with cardboard tag which has the installation instructions printed on the outside and contents list on the inside. There is even a scannable barcode which links to a YouTube installation guide. The COC Block itself is in it’s own bag which presumably protects it from any possible scratches from the other components during transit. I never like it when a component comes in excessive packaging. It might look good on unboxing videos but a massive waste of resource considering it will probably just go in the bin so a big plus to Huckleberry's for that.

photo

Included in the kit is everything required for installation. The contents in my kit included the COC Block, a 2mm spacer, 4mm allen key and velcro strap to hold the fork during installation.

Installation.

This should be an easy process but just in case, the provided instructions are clear and precise. I would anticipate anyone having an issue fitting one of these. I did not use the Velcro strap as I just kept everything in place by hand but I can imagine it would come in handy if you wanted to nip off for a toilet/tea/coffee/beer break.

Aligning everything was straightforward. Tolerances are precise. There is no play with this unlike the Trek adapter.
Assembly took minutes. I just put everything together, set the preload then lightly tightened the bolts on the COC block. I then turned the bars from side to side to make sure they turned by the same degree. Once happy I tightened the bolts to the specified torque.

Appearance.

photo
photo
photo

In order to install mine, I had to remove all my spacers under the stem. Bit of a shame as I had just invested in some Burgtec carbon spacers but I think the trade off is worth it. Once on the bike it looks good and it also provides a bit of a talking point at the local bike trails. A couple of Trek riders commented on it so needless to say I took the opportunity to do a bit of PR. You might notice in the pictures that the bolts have an oil-slick finish. These were fitted by me as I like my bling. The originals are a silver finish.

Build Quality.

photo
photo
photo

One thing I should stress is that this is a QUALITY item with great attention to detail. The anodised finish and machining are to a highly professional level and I have to say this inspires a lot more confidence then Treks own offering. Thankfully I have not had to test this yet but I’m pretty sure it will hold fast in the event of a hard crash.

I particularly liked the inserts that the bolts go into. This allows them to rotate slightly when tightening which should remove any stress points. I don’t have a means to test that theory but it seems to make sense. My only slight quibble is that one of the inserts protrudes slightly, but I am talking fractions of a millimetre here so am being really picky. Once on the bike it was not noticeable and doesn’t affect operation in any way.

Price.

I would say price is a bit on the high side working out at nearly £70 including delivery to the UK (Obviously cheaper if you’re in the US) but it is worth noting that this is a bespoke item and not mass produced like the Trek item.

Bearing in mind that the Trek offering is around £20 in the UK I would say the price is fair for someone who is serious about protecting their frame and forks. As with any new thing, if they sell enough then the price may drop.

First Ride.

Not much to say really. Everything worked flawlessly and I didn’t even notice it on the bike. I guess the real test of this would be in the event of a hard hit. I’m sure it will happen sometime so will post an update when it does.

Pros.

• Far superior than Treks offering.
• Very high quality so worth the investment.
• Allows use of after market stem whilst retaining the Knock-Block feature.
• Best alternative on the market (in my opinion). Superior hold and no alteration of geometry.
• Allows you to remove the cockpit (stem, bar etc.) whilst keeping the forks in place.

Cons.

• Quite expensive.
• Not suitable for riders running less then 25mm stack under their stem (although there is a 10mm version which would solve this problem but with slightly less grip).
• Availability/Delivery (US based but does ship internationally. Just takes a little longer to arrive and may involve additional fees).
• Only available in black.

Conclusions/Thoughts.

Expensive but high-quality piece of kit. On balance I would say it was good value for money considering the alternatives. I have no regrets about getting this and it’s given me the peace of mind that my frame and forks are a lot safer in the event of a big off. The pros far outweigh the cons with the size factor the only one I think would influence a purchasing decision. I’d have no hesitation buying another of these If I got another Trek.

For now. Huckleberrys offer a 25mm and 10mm version. It would be interesting to see if a 15mm version was possible with a similar level of hold whilst giving more options for those running shorter steering tubes. For now htough, I'm more than happy to keep running this in my set-up.

Links.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/204292374170
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhDCsP8qRRg&t

FL
Posted: Apr 27, 2024 at 16:53 Quote
UPDATE

O.K. So I've had this on the bike for a while now and happy to say it's dealt with several hard knocks with ease and is still looking as good as the day I fitted it. I reckon Treks version of the adapter would have failed miserably in this respect.

Happy to say I have no regrets fitting this and would 100% recommend it to others.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011394
Mobile Version of Website