Mouth Guard / Gum Shield

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Mouth Guard / Gum Shield
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Jul 4, 2023 at 6:55 Quote
Afternoon all,

Do any of you use a mouth guard/gum shield when riding? If so, which?

I've just had some very expensive dental work done and would like to keep the new teeth in pristine condition and protected, yet I can't seem to be able to decide on what brand guard to go for, they all seem to get mixed reviews on fitment etc.

Should I just bite the bullet so to speak and have a custom fitted one made for around the £100 mark?

Posted: Jul 4, 2023 at 8:57 Quote
I think you could get away with a mouth guard from your local sporting goods store. They are cheap but reliable. Put it in hot water then fit to your teeth.
Good luck.

O+
Posted: Jul 4, 2023 at 9:30 Quote
BenLow2019 wrote:
I think you could get away with a mouth guard from your local sporting goods store. They are cheap but reliable. Put it in hot water then fit to your teeth.
Good luck.

I did consider this rather than spending a fortune on getting on made and fitted.. cost is about 20% of having one made thanks!

Posted: Jul 4, 2023 at 11:31 Quote
Isn't the main reason to use a gum shield so that you don't swallow your tongue if you take a big hit?

I don't know if they would stop teeth being knocked out or cracked if you smacked your face on a tree for example. I guess they'd offer a bit of protection.

Posted: Jul 4, 2023 at 12:12 Quote
I would look into a SISU mouth guard. I don't use one, but my son did for high school football (American) and lacrosse. Very minimalist type mouthguards.

O+
Posted: Jul 4, 2023 at 12:53 Quote
JonnyTheWeasel wrote:
Isn't the main reason to use a gum shield so that you don't swallow your tongue if you take a big hit?

I don't know if they would stop teeth being knocked out or cracked if you smacked your face on a tree for example. I guess they'd offer a bit of protection.

I've never heard that but I guess it could help? I don't know myself, I read online that it can help protect from the following though:

"Sports gum shields don't only protect your teeth and gums, but can also prevent concussions, brain and neck injuries, and jaw fractures"

O+
Posted: Jul 4, 2023 at 12:54 Quote
kerryman71 wrote:
I would look into a SISU mouth guard. I don't use one, but my son did for high school football (American) and lacrosse. Very minimalist type mouthguards.

You sir, are a hero. That sounds like the exact thing! Thinner yet tougher and rated for extreme sports.

Posted: Jul 4, 2023 at 15:57 Quote
J3cc wrote:
kerryman71 wrote:

You sir, are a hero. That sounds like the exact thing! Thinner yet tougher and rated for extreme sports.

No problem. He definitely liked it much more than the bulky ones he was used to. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that a contributing factor to concussions in a lot of sports aside of the obvious hits to the head is lack of mouthguards, so you have that extra benefit should you need it.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008151
Mobile Version of Website