So I accidentally overtorqued both axles on my bike. What now?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
So I accidentally overtorqued both axles on my bike. What now?
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 7, 2023 at 9:08 Quote
dezinfektor wrote:
kiranseligman wrote:
dezinfektor wrote:

Thanks for response. It looks like that the threads are not stripped. At least they don't move on their own. I tell you that this ParkTool torque wrench caused me a headache. I may sell it or give it away because it is not safe to use it.

That is how all torque wrenches are. They click once the desired torque is hit. Fancy ones will beep at you too.

Yes, but there are also those types where you can keep tightening, but the ratchet mechanism gets engaged like you would be moving the wrench in the opposite position so there's no risk of overtightening. Even the manual of this torque wrench doesn't mention this danger. I may just write ParkTool directly and be thankful for almost ruining my bike. I may have looked on the internet before using the wrench, but I used other types of torque wrenches so I wasn't total greenhorn she I purchased it.

I've been using torque wrenches for a living for 20 years, none of them "disengage" when they hit the torque. They click or beep, that's it.

Maybe the little preset screw drivers do, but that's not a torque wrench.

Posted: Jul 8, 2023 at 4:39 Quote
[Quote="Maslin02"]
dezinfektor wrote:
kiranseligman wrote:

That is how all torque wrenches are. They click once the desired torque is hit. Fancy ones will beep at you too.

Yes, but there are also those types where you can keep tightening, but the ratchet mechanism gets engaged like you would be moving the wrench in the opposite position so there's no risk of overtightening. Even the manual of this torque wrench doesn't mention this danger. I may just write ParkTool directly and be thankful for almost ruining my bike. I may have looked on the internet before using the wrench, but I used other types of torque wrenches so I wasn't total greenhorn she I purchased it.

May I ask How, and how often your torque wrench was calibrated, and how often you were trained in the use of said tool? Just curious. Also, could you explain why you're thankful for something 'almost ruining your bike'? Just a curious observer, trying to make sense of things.

I'm SO glad we've found a solution, by blaming a manufacturer, not examining the problem areas for metal yields, chemistry, or otherwise, and HEY! 'ruining my junk'!

Super productive, and scientific.

Also, Maslin02, Bull.

The design action of the cam-over wrench is such that when the tool reaches its set torque value, the mechanism disengages from the drive thus limiting the torque applied. Inside the wrench, a precision radial ball clutch “slips-free” when the set torque is reached PREVENTING under and over tightening. If you LIMIT the torque applied from a high value, to a lower value, the fastener cannot be put under more stress, and no tightening can be applied. FORCE can be applied, but it will be wholly ineffective.

If the argument is that you can keep applying torque after the slip.........why the &%$^ would anyone keep applying pressure after it's slipped??? Are we assuming that torque spec is just for fun?

AND if that's the case, now we're talking about a guy who's either dumb enough to hear the click, and be like "Naw, just lay into it", or, a guy who's completely deaf, has absolutely NO feeling in his hands, and was waiting for a certain torque value to appear (I assume), on a guage, and be like "Maybe 20% more will be better."

You can explain your position to the original poster.

Posted: Aug 25, 2023 at 20:29 Quote
Protip: Always use your trail side tool to tighten the axles. If you use your torque wrench or long allen, you may not be able to loosen the axle for a trail side repair.

Posted: Aug 26, 2023 at 5:02 Quote
https://www.parktool.com/en-us/product/adjustable-torque-driver-atd-1-2

This one will ratchet.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010137
Mobile Version of Website