Upgrading brakes

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Upgrading brakes
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 23, 2023 at 11:53 Quote
So I am seeking some knowledge on upgrading my formula c1 brakes, want a more common brake system and I can easily find parts for, I have a specialized enduro maybe 2014??? Any info will help, trying to get into mtb. Thanks

O+ FL
Posted: Jul 27, 2023 at 11:35 Quote
I just replaced my SRAM Levels with Magura MT5s and love them. I've always been a fan of Magura starting out with the old HS from the 90's so I'm a little bias.

O+
Posted: Jul 27, 2023 at 16:02 Quote
mchartier3 wrote:
I just replaced my SRAM Levels with Magura MT5s and love them. I've always been a fan of Magura starting out with the old HS from the 90's so I'm a little bias.

Levels are awful, I think practically anything would be an improvement on those!

I've been thinking about upgrading from the basic Shimano 2-pots (MT200 or something I think) on my hardtail which are rather weak, from my research so far Shimano Deore or SLX 4-pots look the best value/performance ratio.

Posted: Jul 27, 2023 at 23:42 Quote
What fork/mount style? That'll help a TON, as you navigate through the posts of "get this!"

I've said it a million times before - calipers don't know what levers you're running. Switch at random; the bore and stroke of one system may be wicked with a certain caliper - but garbage with others. Open systems are always more forgiving for bleeding, but closed are wholly reliable when done right. Mix and match for the budget.....it really doesn't matter. Avid levers work with Shimano calipers. Hope calipers can be used with Hayes masters.

They want you to THINK you need to buy ALL the junk......but fluid and pistons don't care. Keeping the same levers, but going to a 4-piston slave will net a return of less overall power, and better modulation. If the master can't move enough fluid to fill the slave entirely (or quickly), then you get weak brakes. That's where you examine rotor size, bore and stoke, etc.

Don't be afraid to do the research and find things that work.

O+
Posted: Jul 28, 2023 at 3:27 Quote
NewmarketMTB wrote:
Gravelben wrote:
I've been thinking about upgrading from the basic Shimano 2-pots (MT200 or something I think) on my hardtail which are rather weak, from my research so far Shimano Deore or SLX 4-pots look the best value/performance ratio.
I have XT 2 pot on both my hardtails here, they came with the MT200 which are definitely not adequate for 'proper mountain biking' but the XTs will send me out the front door if I'm not careful ha ha!

Torpedo7 have some cheap XT sets FYI

Good to know, I had more or less written off the 2-pot versions as an option.

I've already upgraded to 203mm rotors and better pads which helped a bit, but the MT200 are still underpowered and wooden feeling. I'm getting on for 110kg at the moment which gives them some work to do! At least being underpowered makes them easy to modulate? lol

Have Code RSC on the full sus, so its a big change from one bike to the other.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009768
Mobile Version of Website