Powered by Outside

BMXer looking for tips on starting MTBing

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
BMXer looking for tips on starting MTBing
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 26, 2023 at 16:04 Quote
I've been riding BMX for 35 years and (as you might imagine) there aren't many guys my age at the skatepark so I'm considering making the switch to MTB. I still want to jump (that's why I posted here), but I'm not sure how to get started.

I obviously need a bike, recommendations welcome. I'm a teacher, so I'm on a limited budget. Any bike companies I should avoid? Since I want to jump should I be looking at a hardtail or full suspension bike?

I know nothing about derailleurs or shocks or shifters or disc brakes. How much do I need to know to pick a decent bike?

Any equipment that I should definitely get? Any that's a waste of money? I've got pads and a helmet.

Any advice or tips would be helpful. Thanks!

FL
Posted: Jul 27, 2023 at 12:57 Quote
Check out this review https://m.pinkbike.com/news/review-2022-specialized-status-140-the-slope-duro-cross-weapon.html

Posted: Jul 27, 2023 at 14:14 Quote
ieatkarate wrote:
I've been riding BMX for 35 years and (as you might imagine) there aren't many guys my age at the skatepark so I'm considering making the switch to MTB. I still want to jump (that's why I posted here), but I'm not sure how to get started.

I obviously need a bike, recommendations welcome. I'm a teacher, so I'm on a limited budget. Any bike companies I should avoid? Since I want to jump should I be looking at a hardtail or full suspension bike?

I know nothing about derailleurs or shocks or shifters or disc brakes. How much do I need to know to pick a decent bike?

Any equipment that I should definitely get? Any that's a waste of money? I've got pads and a helmet.

Any advice or tips would be helpful. Thanks!

Jumping can be done on either style bike - you'll save way more $$ with a hardtail, but your body will thank you for the full suspension.
Carbon mountain bikes are all the rage and really great, but not necessary - you'll end up spending about $1000 more for a similarly equipped carbon bike when compared to an aluminum (also spoken as "alloy"). bike.
Avoid electronic shifting systems - not budget friendly and not necessary. In fact, I feel people should learn how mechanical shifting systems work and be fluent in their maintenance before considering electronic shifting.
Also avoid the very lowest tier of shifting systems. Example: SRAM Eagle NX is the lowest tier of Eagle systems and it is not recommended. If you can afford an Eagle system then go for GX. The XX and XO systems are even better, but not the best use of your budget.
Pedals usually don't come with a new bike - or the pedals that do come with a new bike are the plastic safety pedals and you need to replace them right away. You need to decide if you're going to ride clipless or flats. I like flats and feel everybody should develop good habits on flats before transitioning to clipless. I think clipless are really for races and flats are for fun.
You should look at your local bike shops and see what they stock for the local conditions. I suspect you'll get a 1x shifting system. Anything from 1x9 to 1x12 is fine. 1x12 is usually higher tier and maybe actually unnecessary depending on your strength and riding ability.
Definitely should get a bike with a dropper post - it's not 100% necessary, but it's such a good thing to have and once you've used one then riding a bike without one sucks.
Equipment you've got is probably fine: light weight full face helmet, gloves, knee pads and maybe elbow pads. Get something to carry food, water and tools - a Camelbak or hippack with a bladder or spaces to hold water bottles. Bottle cages on bikes are okay, but you may have a bottle bounce out of them from time to time. Bottle cages are good for trail riding and XC type riding - not for jumping IMHO.

Hope this helps.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007903
Mobile Version of Website