SRAM Transmission skipping in 3rd gear

PB Forum :: SRAM
SRAM Transmission skipping in 3rd gear
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Jul 30, 2023 at 22:54 Quote
XO Transmission skipping like crazy in 3rd gear after about 500 miles. Installed a new chain and reinstalled derailleur torqued to spec and the skipping / ghost shifts persist. Also skips a bit in gear 5 but gear 3 is horrendous - literally have to skip it or chain will just whack around up and down the cassette.

Shifting was butter at first, then started going to hell at around 300 miles.

Micro adjust set to 1 but the derailleur clearly still wants to be closer to the cassette.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Video link:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/xgn7qwn38df8uh51z4p2y/XX-T-Type-gear-3-skips.MOV?rlkey=y152dybn2nrl5cjsoy8uoj09f&dl=0

O+
Posted: Aug 20, 2023 at 16:07 Quote
Blownoutrides wrote:
XO Transmission skipping like crazy in 3rd gear after about 500 miles. Installed a new chain and reinstalled derailleur torqued to spec and the skipping / ghost shifts persist. Also skips a bit in gear 5 but gear 3 is horrendous - literally have to skip it or chain will just whack around up and down the cassette.

Micro adjust set to 1 but the derailleur clearly still wants to be closer to the cassette.

Video link:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/xgn7qwn38df8uh51z4p2y/XX-T-Type-gear-3-skips.MOV?rlkey=y152dybn2nrl5cjsoy8uoj09f&dl=0

You figure it out? Id say check the hanger but there ain’t one there… not actually has the chance to work on a transmission yet. Mostly work on lower end stuff but curious to see what the fix was.

Posted: Aug 25, 2023 at 18:24 Quote
kiranseligman wrote:
Blownoutrides wrote:

Video link:

You figure it out? Id say check the hanger but there ain’t one there… not actually has the chance to work on a transmission yet. Mostly work on lower end stuff but curious to see what the fix was.

I think it may be time to replace the Mounting Bolt kit , perhaps they develope some play over time ? I replaced mine and the 3rd gear issue is gone....... so maybe ??

O+
Posted: Oct 10, 2023 at 8:33 Quote
my brand new Sram Transmission is skipping off in the third gear too. I have gone over the install a few times and put about 30 miles on it but it still tries to skip off the third gear. I called Sram and we confirmed the install set up along with the tolerances for the XD driver on my I9 wheel. Everything checks out there. They are going to warranty the derailleur. It's only my thoughts but I feel like it would be a problem with the cassette. I'll post more when I find out.

Posted: Oct 20, 2023 at 16:04 Quote
raabaviation wrote:
my brand new Sram Transmission is skipping off in the third gear too. I have gone over the install a few times and put about 30 miles on it but it still tries to skip off the third gear. I called Sram and we confirmed the install set up along with the tolerances for the XD driver on my I9 wheel. Everything checks out there. They are going to warranty the derailleur. It's only my thoughts but I feel like it would be a problem with the cassette. I'll post more when I find out.

Did the replacement fix the issue?

Anyone having this same issue…just like me?

I tried every micro adjust setting 1 thru 11… every other gear is perfect and shift amazing.

Was professionally installed by poison Spyder on my HT V2. 3rd gear is unusable. Grrrr

Posted: Oct 21, 2023 at 4:54 Quote
I had the same issue. Sram ended up warrantying it two weeks ago. Sent me an entire XO rear mech for free.
Ruby Canyon cycles in GJ had them on the phone within 30 minutes as part of the troubleshooting process.

O+
Posted: Oct 26, 2023 at 17:11 Quote
Interesting. I just picked a bike up last week that’s set up with transmission. Have about 50km on it. First proper ride today putting some power through it while climbing and 3rd jumps fairly consistently. Went through the set up and it’s as it should be. Guess time to talk to SRAM.

Posted: Nov 5, 2023 at 8:08 Quote
raabaviation wrote:

Did the new derailleur fix the issue? I have the same adjustment issue. Thanks

Posted: Nov 6, 2023 at 9:41 Quote
coloradohaze wrote:
I had the same issue. Sram ended up warrantying it two weeks ago. Sent me an entire XO rear mech for free.
Ruby Canyon cycles in GJ had them on the phone within 30 minutes as part of the troubleshooting process.

Did the new derailleur solve the issue? I have the same problem... 3rd gear with micro-adjust maxed out on #1, still wont work like it should - Thanks!!

Posted: Nov 19, 2023 at 13:43 Quote
My XO transmission is also doing the same thing, third gear will not work, the bike is new. I will take mine to Ruby Canyon as well it seems like they have knowledge about this issue.

Posted: Nov 23, 2023 at 22:36 Quote
Did anyone fond out what was wrong woth there third gear??

O+
Posted: Nov 27, 2023 at 4:49 Quote
Any updates? I have this issue as well.

O+
Posted: Nov 27, 2023 at 14:52 Quote
iflyadesk wrote:

Actually read a thread on MTBR that suggested the axle has to be very precisely torqued (I've never actually done that, but I can see why T-Type would be picky about this) and the end cap on the hub should protrude precisely 4.0mm above the cassette. Mine measured 3.34mm.

So I precisely torqued my axle per the number printed on it and added 3 clicks of micro adjust (0.2mm each) and in the stand at least, all issues are gone (it was skipping badly, not seating, and jumping off and back on). All other cogs seem unaffected.

Will ride outside tomorrow and see if that did it.

Posted: Nov 27, 2023 at 20:49 Quote
I’m interested in this as well as in having the same issue in 3rd gear I’ve torqued everything to spec and have a warranty thread going with sram so we’ll see

O+
Posted: Nov 28, 2023 at 17:59 Quote
iflyadesk wrote:
iflyadesk wrote:

Actually read a thread on MTBR that suggested the axle has to be very precisely torqued (I've never actually done that, but I can see why T-Type would be picky about this) and the end cap on the hub should protrude precisely 4.0mm above the cassette. Mine measured 3.34mm.

So I precisely torqued my axle per the number printed on it and added 3 clicks of micro adjust (0.2mm each) and in the stand at least, all issues are gone (it was skipping badly, not seating, and jumping off and back on). All other cogs seem unaffected.

Will ride outside tomorrow and see if that did it.

Rode outside and everything is working flawlessly now. It was skipping horribly in 3rd gear on the trail and in the stand.

Solution was to measured how far my endcap protruded beyond the cassette: 3.34mm. This is supposed to be 4.0mm, so I added 3x clicks of micro adjust inboard (0.2mm x 3 = 0.60mm + 3.34mm = 3.94mm). I also torqued the wheel’s axle precisely to spec which I usually would just wing it.

This solved my 3rd gear skipping problem entirely. It is now even more smooth and more quiet in all the gears than it ever has been.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013657
Mobile Version of Website