SRAM Transmission skipping in 3rd gear

PB Forum :: SRAM
SRAM Transmission skipping in 3rd gear
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 29, 2023 at 12:46 Quote
iflyadesk wrote:
iflyadesk wrote:
Any updates? I have this issue as well.
and the end cap on the hub should protrude precisely 4.0mm above the cassette.
Can you elaborate on this some more? May be even point to it in a photo?

Posted: Dec 1, 2023 at 23:23 Quote
I am waiting on this as well I have a warranty claim in I’ve torqued everything to factory spec and had it apart and back together 10 times 3 gear still jumps around in the stand and jumps under load on the trail . Guess we’ll see what they come up with but something is I believe out of spec , I’ve been a wrench in the industry for 21 years

O+
Posted: Dec 8, 2023 at 19:12 Quote
Has anyone been able to narrow down whether this is specific to X0?

I’ve recently installed a new XO cassette and chain and using an XX derailleur. The derailleur has worked perfect with another cassette and chain so I don’t believe it’s that. I’ve set up other transmission systems on a couple other frames but this current set up is full of hassles.

FL
Posted: Dec 9, 2023 at 0:55 Quote
I had two GX cassettes and had this issue on both of them. Ended up sending the whole groupset back for a refund, Sram support was not helpful at all, they seem to pretend that they don't know about the problem even if a lot of people compain about it.

O+
Posted: Dec 21, 2023 at 4:43 Quote
jon123rjk wrote:
Has anyone been able to narrow down whether this is specific to X0?

I’ve recently installed a new XO cassette and chain and using an XX derailleur. The derailleur has worked perfect with another cassette and chain so I don’t believe it’s that. I’ve set up other transmission systems on a couple other frames but this current set up is full of hassles.

Thought I should update this. Like other Transmission systems I’ve set up, this one is now running excellent.

I can’t say exactly what made the difference, but at some point it all starts running smoothly. I wonder if it’s one of the following: the chain needs a few cleanings (for sure one to be free of the factory lube as others have reportered but possibly may need a couple). If there’s some sort of break in period for the chain and/or the cassette. Or, and this I’ve thought before when I’ve set up other transmissions, the chain and cassette just need to find some sort of synch. You can almost feel and hear it when it happens.

O+
Posted: Mar 18, 2024 at 8:01 Quote
Two things I’ve learned that got rid of all my transmission problems: (1) I must properly torque the axle. In my case it’s a full 360° turn tighter than I was previously tightening it. (2) if it ever gets off and starts jumping, pass through the 21T cog. It’s the only odd-numbered cog and the only one that’s not narrow-wide. By passing through the 21T, I “reset” the chain back onto the correct narrow-wide position. It CAN get off, particularly when reinstalling a wheel.

O+
Posted: Mar 19, 2024 at 4:41 Quote
iflyadesk wrote:
Two things I’ve learned that got rid of all my transmission problems: (1) I must properly torque the axle. In my case it’s a full 360° turn tighter than I was previously tightening it. (2) if it ever gets off and starts jumping, pass through the 21T cog. It’s the only odd-numbered cog and the only one that’s not narrow-wide. By passing through the 21T, I “reset” the chain back onto the correct narrow-wide position. It CAN get off, particularly when reinstalling a wheel.

When you say “pass through” do you mean ride in the 21t for a while? Or literally pass through that cog where you’re shifting either up or down and going through it from another gear?

It’s interesting what you say about the 21T because I’ve clearly noticed it’s the one gear that will often give me a bit of noise when shifting from 8th to 7th gear. If it’s quiet then the rest of the shifts are typically perfect.

O+
Posted: Mar 20, 2024 at 8:14 Quote
Set up is definitely important, making sure everything is torqued to spec will help but there’s more to it than just that.

I’ve just had my cassette replaced under warranty due to the 3rd gear issue. I know a couple of others who have had the same as well as a couple of people who have had their derailleurs replaced. So there’s more to it than just set up.

Having run AXS perviously once you were set up it wasn’t losing mesh with the narrow wide teeth. There should be no need to re sync mid ride. That in itself should indicate there’s a bigger issue.

Posted: Apr 2, 2024 at 17:37 Quote
My XO shifts fine now, I replaced the derailleur bushing and bolt kit, I retorqued the cassette, and performed the setup process again. Everything is working fine now. I think maybe it was the cassette clearance. I’m not sure what it was. I due know if you don’t torque everything correctly it will not work correctly.

O+
Posted: Apr 7, 2024 at 7:43 Quote
matttie wrote:
Having run AXS perviously once you were set up it wasn’t losing mesh with the narrow wide teeth. There should be no need to re sync mid ride. That in itself should indicate there’s a bigger issue.

The old cassette didn’t have narrow-wide teeth as far as I know. None of this affects the chainring.

O+
Posted: Apr 7, 2024 at 7:45 Quote
jon123rjk wrote:
When you say “pass through” do you mean ride in the 21t for a while? Or literally pass through that cog where you’re shifting either up or down and going through it from another gear?

Doesn’t matter how long I’m in the 21T. Even a split second does the trick.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.031393
Mobile Version of Website