Powered by Outside

Clavicle fracture and orif-recovery?

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Clavicle fracture and orif-recovery?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+ FL
Posted: Aug 11, 2023 at 7:58 Quote
Hey everyone. Just looking for some feedback on others experience in regards to recovery timelines....I'm a woman, aged 41.
On July 7, went otb on a steep and loose corner. Hit the deck totally on left shoulder and fractured clavicle, shortened 3cm/displaced 1.5 and two fragments. Health care disaster in Alberta meant I waited 2 terrible weeks (July 21) before I had surgery with a superior plate and some screws to hold one of the fragments in place... Post op for first 2 w, did pendulums and elbow/wrist rom. Started riding stationary bike trainer at low watts at day 6 post op. At 2 weeks, started physio and doing active rom as tolerated for forward flexion and abduction and some rotator cuff strengthening. Now at 3 weeks post op, have near close to full range of motion for flexion/abduction, but external rotation still a bit short. Did intervals on bike trainer yesterday, but still at 90% normal, because I've lost fitness in past 5 weeks. I have stopped wearing sling as of now. Haven't really done any prolonged walking without sling yet.
My surgeon is very vague in regards to rehab, but basically said can do active rom as tolerated but no lifting with arm until 6w. Repeat XR at 6w, to see if hardwear in place, and if so, can start light strengthening...

I am generally very fit, ride mtb x5 week during summer, race some enduro, rock climb x3, weight train/ hike and scramble, so this injury has been mentally very difficult to deal with, since all normal activities and mountain fun are gone/vacation to Whistler in August (my favourite place in the world) canceled. So am pretty depressed to be honest. I'm also a big skier and am counting the days to ski season and hope the plate doesn't interfere with getting avy bag touring.

What are other people's experiences in terms of timeline/difficulties/return to running/hiking/ road biking/swimming/mtb and rock climbing and then skiing?! Any suggestions re mental training for getting back on bike? I must admit, I'm a bit nervous to think about it... Pretty bummed because I thought I was making good fitness progress on bike this year, pushing technical limits... And now all season gone (I live in Alberta, snow comes in October). Sorry for long post. Thanks for reading and any comments appreciated.

O+
Posted: Oct 9, 2023 at 8:07 Quote
I hope that two months on things are looking up. Fingers crossed for a great ski season.

It sucks being kept away from your favourite adrenaline activity. I (45 then) shattered my right clavicle into three pieces and had to have a plate installed for six months last year.

The absolute line in the sand from my surgeon, GP, and exercise physiologist was ‘don’t fall again with the plate still in’ . I was counting down the days hoping to get back on my bike in time for at least one XCM race. A bout of COVID ended that dream by delaying surgery to remove the plate by nine weeks!

With the plate removed and having followed rehab tenaciously I was all clear to ride again. I relished those first rides back.

There’s a whole article on the NY Times website talking with top adventure sport athletes about the mental struggles of being forced onto the sidelines by injury. Hang in there through the short term torment and you’ll be hitting the trails and climbs in no time.

PS - 12 weeks later I shattered my left femur and lost a whole second season (this year) of racing to injury. I overdid my return to riding and ignored fatigue symptoms on that fateful day.

O+ FL
Posted: Oct 25, 2023 at 17:10 Quote
Fellow Calgarian, here with experience helping other riders with this injury and surgery. Hope you're well on the way to recovery and maybe got some riding in before it snowed on Monday. One of my clients with the same injury and surgery was able to ride in Fernie on the last weekend before snow hit.

With many surgeries it is common to have random aches and pains even when you feel like you are 100% or close to it. It is important to stay diligent with your strengthening and conditioning after as your injured body part will initially regress faster than your other side.

If you're still struggling with gaining confidence on the mental side of return to sport a book I have and several other injured athletes I have worked with have found the book 'Rebound' very helpful.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005967
Mobile Version of Website