Site to compare between different bike geometry

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Site to compare between different bike geometry
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 17, 2023 at 13:28 Quote
Looking for a site that will allow me to compare different bike geometries. I have an Opus Stakh 3, full suspension that was fitted to me due to a back injury. I wish to go to a hard tail and finding it overwhelming the number of bike available and geometries that look close.

I would like to get a large hardtail frame the same or extremely similar allowing me to swap over. Since 26" frames are out my only option is to go into a 27.

Posted: Aug 17, 2023 at 14:52 Quote
Heywood165 wrote:
https://geometrygeeks.bike might help a bit.

Workd great - down to 60 bikes 3/4's never heard of.
THANKS

O+
Posted: Aug 17, 2023 at 15:01 Quote
As said geometrygeeks.bike is useful for comparing bike geo.

Comparing between full suspension and hardtail geometry is a bit different too, they change as they sag into the suspension travel. FS sags at both ends so the geometry doesn't change a lot from static, they generally get slightly shorter and slacker. HT only sags at the front so they get longer and steeper than their static geo.

Practical effect of this, you typically want a hardtail to have shorter reach and higher stack than what you prefer in a full sus, so that its sagged geo is closer to your preference when you are actually riding it.

This calculator is useful for figuring out the sagged geometry of a hardtail:

https://madscientistmtb.com/sagged-hardtail-geometry-calculator/

Putting the numbers for my hardtail into the calculator for an example (140mm 29er trail hardtail), at 20% sag its reach increases from 455mm static to 469mm, stack drops from 650mm to 640mm and the head tube angle steepens from 65.5° to 66.7°.

Significant enough changes that you want to be aware of it.

Posted: Aug 20, 2023 at 7:44 Quote
99spokes is another good one, gives you a nice graphic of multiple bike overlayed so you can visualise the dimensions

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009194
Mobile Version of Website