Powered by Outside

Going from a Nomad to SB140 or SB150 or equivalent slightly shorter travel bike

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Going from a Nomad to SB140 or SB150 or equivalent slightly shorter travel bike
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 30, 2023 at 0:08 Quote
Hi, I have a Nomad V5. It's a great bike, an awesome bike, but so much more than I need. I don't ride as hard or fast as I used to and I am putting more emphasis on the fun, jumping, and fitness component of the sport now. I still plan on going to my local bike parks, but I'm not shuttling like I was back in the day when I had a full DH bike. I bought and upgraded the Nomad thinking I'd get back into my old style of riding but it never really took. I guess I'm more risk adverse than I used to be.

I've been thinking about downsizing bikes.. here's my thoughts:

On local trails the Nomad is a little too much. It's a super fun bike (and a dream bike of mine for a long time) but I can't open it up enough to feel alive on my local trails.
The slack head tube angle makes low speed climbing a little tricky sometimes (but it pedals super well).
It's a heavy bike coming in around 35-36lbs.
At a size L I might be a touch big for it (6'2"). It climbs insanely well for the size but I feel a tad cramped.
I don't have experience on shorter travel bikes, but I have this feeling I'd enjoy something lighter and more "poppy".

The Yeti SB140/150's have caught my eye. I haven't ridden one yet but wanted to get thoughts on those or other options (stump jumper evo, remedy 9.8, and a few other considerations). I believe I'm biased to 27.5 but I've really opened my mind to 29" lately and plan to do some more demoing -- I've never really done a SOLID ride on a 29er yet.

I'm really interested in the Yetis and Specialized builds because they come in right at 30lbs (for the mid to high tier builds) and seem to generally be well regarded.

My stats:
6'2"
180-190lbs
Lanky
Small-Large jump lines
Will ride just about everything at the bike park except pro lines
Not the fastest on the way down, but finding things to bunny hop off of, etc is more fun

Any suggestions or insights here?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008118
Mobile Version of Website