Needing Help with Sizing/Fitting New Enduro Bike

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Needing Help with Sizing/Fitting New Enduro Bike
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Sep 3, 2023 at 16:55 Quote
Currently, have an Evil Insurgent MX size L that i've been racing the past 2 enduro season's. Over the course of those two season's I feel like I have trouble weighting the front end when cornering. I'm 5'9 with what I would call relatively normal length arms and maybe even on the shorter side.

The large is 480mm reach (low) and 473mm reach (x-low) and the medium is 460mm reach (low) and 453mm reach in (x-low). I have my large in the x-low setting and the stem is slammed as far down as can be. I don't feel like it's to far until I get in the attack position and feel like I struggle to weight the front tire.

Can't decide if I need to go down to a medium or stick with a large and just shift body position forward. Any thoughts, experiences or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

O+
Posted: Sep 3, 2023 at 18:54 Quote
To me that sounds on the longer side for reach for 5'9 and you might be better off on a medium, especially if your proportions are longer legs/shorter torso. But you could try adjusting fit other ways first instead of jumping straight into buying a new bike/frame.

You could try a shorter stem (depending how short it already is).

If you have a high rise bar you could use a lower rise bar and lift the hand position with stem spacers instead, which would reduce your effective reach a little (about 4mm reach per 10mm of spacer).

Neither of those things changes the distance between the front wheel and your feet, but bringing the bar closer might make it easier to apply force downwards weighting it.

I'm no expert by any means, but at 5'10 (and with longer legs/shorter torso proportions) I often find myself in between M and L sizes and have done some experimenting with ways to get the best fit.

O+ FL
Posted: Sep 20, 2023 at 17:26 Quote
My opinion, the large is too big for you. Not being able to get weight on the front to get traction for cornering is a dead giveaway.Proper body position is to be able to stay centered on the bike and actively apply pressure to your handlebars, not passively shift forward to get weight on the front.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008722
Mobile Version of Website