Powered by Outside

Winter Project Late 90's Marin DH & a Marzocchi surprise

PB Forum :: Vintage and Fixed Gear Bikes
Winter Project Late 90's Marin DH & a Marzocchi surprise
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 26, 2023 at 22:06 Quote
Last week I was browsing my local bike ads and something interesting caught my eye. Between a Huffy Trail Runner 24 and a Genesis V2100 6061 there was a "Mountain Bike". It was not the Scott it said it was. I wasn't sure at the time what it exactly was, old, dual suspension & canti studs!

I've been on the hunt for a decent old 26" full suspension bike with canti studs since I decided to race vintage class in our local Enduro race series. It wasn't a particularly competitive race per se. A team Enduro, 3 persons per team, 15 miles 3k ft up and down. Costumes are very much approved and it's essentially a trail party. No performance enhancing drugs necessary.

The bike I chose for this race was not the best bike for this race. I assumed a dumbed down route with greens and gravel/ I don't know why I thought this, I've ridden at Capital Forest. While it's certainly not the gnarliest, a 25 year old hard tail with 80mm of front suspension is not the most comfortable and capable bike. I also do tend to get competetive, so balls out on that bike was just plain exhausting and intense, not exactly smile educing.
photo

The race went well. It was hot, dusty, exhausting. My team mates did well considering, one rear wheel fell off. Another rider was riding a Stumpjumper that was a decade older than him, the tires were also original.
photo
We shouldn't have won. But we did. Apparently we were the only 3 people brave enough to ride vintage bikes.

After the race we were ALL exhausted, no smiles, just happy to not be riding these bikes down difficult trails. We ate, we drank, we celebrated. My two team mates retired from vintage enduro racing with a podium finish. But I wanted something faster. Something that could compete with those modern bikes who may not really be competing.

As if the used mt bike gods were sending me a message 85 days later a beacon of hope. Mountain Bike. Capable of mounting rim brakes, 26" wheels and no dropper. The 3 rules that must be followed to enter into Vintage Class enduro. Sure it had a ridiculously cool and exceedingly rare Marzocchi Super T, but this bike was meant to compete!
photo
https://dirtmountainbike.com/features/the-marzocchi-bomber-15-years-of-fork-manufacture/4

Potential. That's what I saw in this bike. So I contacted the seller & immediately jumped head first down the rabbit hole.
photo
photo
photo

It took 4 days for the selller to respond to my messages. In that time I learned that the black Scott was from 1998. It was most likely a Marin Team DH frame. What really caught my attention though was the fork. I've been using Marzocchi fork for 20 years and rebuild and use or sell the older Z2's I've owned and rebuilt most of the older Marzocchi forks over the years. I had never seen a Marzocchi Bomber like it. I looked through the old website pages (Thanks Wayback Machine) and the closest fork I could find, the 98 MR T was not this fork. Same top crown, so we were close. I contacted a good friend who clued me in. The fork is a pre production 1997 Super T.
photo
photo
photo
This fork was Marzocchi's first dual crown fork. Aside from the stanchions and dampers everything on this fork is CNC machined. Rumor has it they made 150-200 a year in 1997. 1998 changed to an 8 bolt brace. Fun fact, same fork that Corrado Hérin used to win the 97 DH WC.

Finally got the bike back home & immediately started the tear down.
Marin Team DH 1998

The fork looked pretty good, but every marzocchi that comes into my possession gets rebuilt. Ordered seals, oil & some bumpers and waited for them to arrive.

After a day I got bored and decided to take the bike down to it's pieces and rebuild.

Since the frame was repainted I decided to take it down to bare AL, give it a little polish & check for cracks. Luckily the frame was serviceable, filled in some dents & greased the dry bearings. Good to go there!

photo

Finally the parts for the fork came. I stripped the paint off of the crowns as the black wasn't my style. I've had a chance to rebuild just about all of the post 96 Marzocchi forks outside of the Shiver SC & this. Luckily it was very similar to what I've worked on before. Just more bolts, a lot more.

photo
[PI=25847969/][/PI]
photo
photo
photo

photo
photo
https://dirtmountainbike.com/features/the-marzocchi-bomber-15-years-of-fork-manufacture/4

Mod
Posted: Oct 27, 2023 at 9:17 Quote
this is cool. Marzocchi mark/ mtbforksby mark has parts and resources for that fork.

Posted: Nov 10, 2023 at 10:09 Quote
Thanks for the tip. Marz Mark ended up being out of stock on these parts. Not a lot made. Dr Zocchi had just about everything needed. Repro seals, bumpers, top adjuster knobs and randomly enough, the disc mount.

Seals: https://dr-zocchi.projectweb.de/produkt/marzocchi-bomber-30-mm-seal-kit-classic-type/

Bumpers: https://dr-zocchi.projectweb.de/produkt/marzocchi-bomber-bumpers/

Adjuster Knobs: https://dr-zocchi.projectweb.de/produkt/marzocchi-mr-t-super-t-rebound-knob-1997-1998/

Disc adapter: https://dr-zocchi.projectweb.de/produkt/marzocchi-disc-adapter-super-t-1997-1998-532849/

Oil: Stock Golden Spectro 125/150

Oil Charts: I guessed on this one, will have to wait until I have it on a working bike to confirm the 90mm oil gap is correct. Too little and it will bottom out harshly, too much & it will not achieve full travel. https://marzocchiworkshop.blogspot.com/p/oil-quantitys-and-levels_858.html

Mod
Posted: Nov 10, 2023 at 10:44 Quote
picking up the shiver world cup per your suggestion on sunday for my modern enduro hardtail...
bike looks sick! happy you could get the parts

Posted: Nov 10, 2023 at 11:02 Quote
mior wrote:
picking up the shiver world cup per your suggestion on sunday for my modern enduro hardtail...

That's awesome! If that was closer I would have been all over it. Smile Hit me up if you need any tips on the rebuild, have done a few. But it's honestly pretty simple.

Mod
Posted: Nov 10, 2023 at 11:11 Quote
eshew wrote:
mior wrote:

That's awesome! If that was closer I would have been all over it. Smile Hit me up if you need any tips on the rebuild, have done a few. But it's honestly pretty simple.
the guy also has extra springs, a hub, stem and seals. he also has a silver shiver for 175, but i like the more pimp WC one. is it actually any different besides color?

Posted: Nov 10, 2023 at 11:46 Quote
I don't think there is any difference outside of color. If that Silver one is in good shape I'd pick it up as well. Think of it as an investment, lol. Can never have too many Shivers Smile Some have 170mm most are 190mm. The 170mm was usually a special request as it requires difference springs & dampers.

You might want to prepare that guy for a deep dive in his stash of parts, those direct mount stems are getting harder to find, they sell well & for a pretty penny.

Mod
Posted: Nov 10, 2023 at 12:58 Quote
eshew wrote:
I don't think there is any difference outside of color. If that Silver one is in good shape I'd pick it up as well. Think of it as an investment, lol. Can never have too many Shivers Smile Some have 170mm most are 190mm. The 170mm was usually a special request as it requires difference springs & dampers.

You might want to prepare that guy for a deep dive in his stash of parts, those direct mount stems are getting harder to find, they sell well & for a pretty penny.
he bought them to make some e-pitbikes for his grandkids. I dont have the money for another shiver. my dad is already not too happy about me spending $200ish on a fork. I will see what he has in terms of other parts.

Posted: Nov 10, 2023 at 13:02 Quote
Oh man! Well if it's in good shape tell the guy he's got someone up north who is interested if he will ship. & Technically you can get both of those forks for less than what I was selling one for. Rebuild & resell. They will typically sell for $400-600 so you shouldn't have much trouble selling either at a profit. Just have to do some marketing and be willing to ship (and not get scammed)

Mod
Posted: Nov 10, 2023 at 15:52 Quote
eshew wrote:
Oh man! Well if it's in good shape tell the guy he's got someone up north who is interested if he will ship. & Technically you can get both of those forks for less than what I was selling one for. Rebuild & resell. They will typically sell for $400-600 so you shouldn't have much trouble selling either at a profit. Just have to do some marketing and be willing to ship (and not get scammed)
talked to the seller and he'll sell me both forks and quite a few parts for $350. parents seem to be on board with it.

Posted: Nov 10, 2023 at 16:16 Quote
Good, that's a VERY solid deal.

Mod
Posted: Nov 10, 2023 at 17:07 Quote
eshew wrote:
Good, that's a VERY solid deal.
bro cancelled on me for like the only time i can meet himFacepalm gonna try to see if i can find another time

Posted: Nov 10, 2023 at 17:19 Quote
Lol it happens, just roll with it.

Posted: Jan 8, 2024 at 11:47 Quote
Dr-Zocchi came to the rescue with reproduction top cap knobs & brake mounts.... talk about perfect timing. https://dr-zocchi.projectweb.de/

These are officially done....

photo
photo

Time for another project...
photo

Mod
Posted: Jan 8, 2024 at 12:25 Quote
those hand adjust rebound knobs are sweet! might have to pick up a set myself

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.026082
Mobile Version of Website