Powered by Outside

Chips in used carbon frame, is it a problem?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Chips in used carbon frame, is it a problem?

Author Message
Posted: Oct 30, 2023 at 14:10 Quote
Hi again, I just had a question about carbon frames. I’m looking at a used two year old C70, end of season very good price. It’s not in pristine condition however, I’ve gone over it with a fine tooth comb, no cracks that’s I can see, but there’s some chips in the paint on the underside of the chainstay. Or from what I can tell, it looks like it’s just the paint/clear coat chipped off, but I could be wrong. I have to experience with carbon frames, and I’ve also never chipped my frame on my own bike like this, but I don’t ride super aggressive, and don’t crash much. Just wondering what your thoughts are, are these bad enough to be a deal breaker in your opinion? Pics of the 3 chips here, the last two pics are of the same chip, I have trouble getting it in focus:

photo

photo

photo

photo

Posted: Oct 31, 2023 at 6:21 Quote
Those are ugly for sure, but I've seen worse on bikes that are still running fine.
I think these chips are mostly cosmetic and you could ride that bike okay.
If the bike had a protective wrap or at least protective tape armor on the high impact areas then these chips may not have happened in the first place.
I'd make a fuss and talk down the price.
Good luck.


 


Copyright © 2000 - 2026. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011135
Mobile Version of Website