Suspension setup/tuning

PB Forum :: 27.5/650b
Suspension setup/tuning
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Nov 3, 2023 at 9:57 Quote
Looking for resources on how to tune my suspension. Aside from setting my sag and selecting compression on the fly while I’m riding, I’ll be the first to admit that I’m out of my depth when it comes to true suspension tuning.

I have a 27.5 YT Capra that I’ve enjoyed until recently when I demo’d an MX Santa Cruz Heckler SL. The Heckler suspension was way more playful and responsive which helped me feel in much better control of the bike. By comparison, my suspension feels soft and sluggish. Bunny hops are more labored and less productive. Obvious differences aside (i.e. analog vs eMTB, geometry, brand, suspension travel), I’m curious how much I can tweak what I’ve got in the Capra to feel closer to my Heckler experience.

The Heckler had 160mm Lyrik Ultimate fork, and 150mm RockShox Super Deluxe Ultimate shock. My Capra has a 180mm Fox 36 Rhythm fork, and 170mm Fox Float DPX2 shock.

O+ FL
Posted: Nov 5, 2023 at 16:00 Quote
Nosole wrote:
Looking for resources on how to tune my suspension. Aside from setting my sag and selecting compression on the fly while I’m riding, I’ll be the first to admit that I’m out of my depth when it comes to true suspension tuning.

I have a 27.5 YT Capra that I’ve enjoyed until recently when I demo’d an MX Santa Cruz Heckler SL. The Heckler suspension was way more playful and responsive which helped me feel in much better control of the bike. By comparison, my suspension feels soft and sluggish. Bunny hops are more labored and less productive. Obvious differences aside (i.e. analog vs eMTB, geometry, brand, suspension travel), I’m curious how much I can tweak what I’ve got in the Capra to feel closer to my Heckler experience.

The Heckler had 160mm Lyrik Ultimate fork, and 150mm RockShox Super Deluxe Ultimate shock. My Capra has a 180mm Fox 36 Rhythm fork, and 170mm Fox Float DPX2 shock.

Shockcraft, a shop in New Zealand I believe, has some great articles on how to set up suspension. I’d try and just play around with things and what they do. If you like
The stiffer feel of the Heckler then try and add some more air pressure. It also may come down to different suspension platforms as well as the amount of travel the bike has. Other things could be how high the bars are, you can add a spacer under the stem if possible to raise the bars up and that may make it feel a little easier to hop.

Posted: Nov 8, 2023 at 3:30 Quote
The basics I know is to go through your rebound and compression settings one at a time @Nosole.

Rebound you want as fast a return as possible, but without a feeling as though you're trying to be thrown from the bike.

Rolling at a crawl and bouncing the suspension is about the best and easiest way to get it set, take as much time as you need to get it feeling right for you.

And as for compression, you want it set so that it absorbs impacts and compresses at a reasonable rate. As if it's set too fast it ends up feeling all wallowy and messes up handling.

But compression changes depending upon your riding environment. You need less for trail riding and more for downhill.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008478
Mobile Version of Website