135mm vrs 150mm rear end

PB Forum :: Downhill
135mm vrs 150mm rear end
Posted: Mar 17, 2008 at 11:03 Quote
Wilson4 wrote:
It's not the width of where the spokes are it's how the wheels must be built to be centered. Wheels should be built so that the rim is centered exactly between the axle ends on the hub. In the case of rear wheels, the spokes attach to flanges which are not symmetrical...the right flange is usually closer to the centerline than the left flange, to make room for the sprocket(s) on a 135.

When rear wheels are built properly, the spokes on the right side are made tighter than those on the left side. This pulls the rim to the right, so that it is centered with respect to the axle (and to the frame.) Viewed edgewise, a rear wheel built this way resembles a dish, or bowl, since the left spokes form a broad cone, while the right spokes are nearly flat. A 150 rear end doesn't have this and has the force distributed more widely over the spokes making it stronger. Ever seen a dished wheel center itself, shitty walk home is what happens as the rear wheel won't turn.

the Millyard II is a single sided swingarm that encompasses a chain. It's thick and strong, it can afford to have the smaller rear end.

oh i get it i'm guessing dirt must have been wrong, lol, although my norco has fsr and has to be dished, so far i've broke 6 spokes on 3 separate occasions (one was a mech's fault)! looking for a new frame now though i'm glad to say, so i may have to keep an eye on this thread Geek you'll be interested to hear a wilson is one of my options!Beer

Posted: Mar 17, 2008 at 11:06 Quote
laurie1 wrote:
PS. Way to rip what I said in another thread.

What can I say, I finally beat you to a post I thought you'd be all over. Just thought your explanation would be better than mine. Smile

O+
Posted: Mar 17, 2008 at 11:13 Quote
i have a 150 on my aline and the things are definatly bombproof and I'd strongly doubt that you'd ever break one, the only thing i dont really like about them is if your buying wheelset the slection is much smaller because from what ive experienced most companies dont put 150mm hubs in prebuilt wheelsets so it takes a good amount of looking around to find a good pre built wheel unless you make your own which is always a option but the hubs are definatly alot smaller in slection and more expensive for sure

Posted: Mar 17, 2008 at 11:18 Quote
and you know a-lines are crap which is bad about them(I have one too)

O+
Posted: Mar 17, 2008 at 11:20 Quote
sykesy wrote:

really i love mine whats so bad about yours??Confused

Mod
Posted: Mar 17, 2008 at 11:20 Quote
Most bikes that come with a 150 rear end are normally the higher end DH and FR rig and they are by no means cheap. I am talking about $2500+ frames and $5000+ completes and most people that have that kind of dough to spend on a bike can afford a quality wheelset. Also, there are a lot more bikes with 135 rear ends so companies often cater to them as they are easier to sell. Most people who buy 150 wheels rather build them up then stick a stock wheelset such as the FR2350, Deemax, I9, etc. I mean honestly, what's a few hundred dollars extra to get the best wheelset one can buy? Pre-laced wheelsets for the most part are garbage and lose their true/tension quickly. I rather have someone build me a set of custom laced wheels to my spec compared to riding Deemax which I have owned or I9. Nothing beats a King laced to a Mavic EX823 hoop with double or triple butted spokes. There also is a limited variety of pre-built wheels on the market but there are many more hoop, hub, and spoke combinations so that is why there aren't nearly as many pre-built wheelsets.

Posted: Mar 17, 2008 at 11:24 Quote
wilson 4,, which orange bike has a flexy back end ???????????????????

Posted: Mar 17, 2008 at 11:30 Quote
It's mainly in the 224 series. Don't get me wrong great bikes, just the two very long chainstays (I'd guess you call them that) have some lateral flex.

Posted: Mar 17, 2008 at 11:34 Quote
kanadiankid wrote:
sykesy wrote:

really i love mine whats so bad about yours??Confused

the bb is way to high for dh

Posted: Mar 17, 2008 at 11:39 Quote
so an orange 224 dh bike has a flexy back end,,i dont think orange would agree and i defo dont!!!!

Posted: Mar 17, 2008 at 11:48 Quote
And you don't have to, it's my experience and my experience only. Take it with a grain of salt and use it as you see fit.

Mod
Posted: Mar 17, 2008 at 11:55 Quote
I have yet to ride one but apparently Cycle-Solutions carries Orange from a previous conversation I had with them so next time I am in the Bayview area, I will go with my uncle and take some for a spin. They look pretty dope for a single pivot bike but I was surprised to find out that they aren’t nearly as light as I thought. I think Spag weighed his 224 GBR and it was 11.5 pounds or something like that with the frame and shock and I always thought they were significantly lighter like the sub 10 pound area.

Posted: Mar 17, 2008 at 11:59 Quote
^^^ There was a massive arguement on ridemonkey because of that pic.

And chilli7, please understand that I'm not saying it's a bad bike by any means, I'm just saying the rear end did exhibit some flex when I rode it (240 pounds geared up). It was even one of the bikes I looked at before buying my Wilson, but a lack of any distributor here and the cost to get one turned out to not make it worthwhile.

Posted: Mar 17, 2008 at 12:00 Quote
ye you should ride one, after all steve peat raced them and won the worlds on his, depending on spec you can get these to around 38 lb which is about the same as my sx and i know which id rather ride!!!

Posted: Mar 18, 2008 at 21:50 Quote
[/Quote]

Have you ever even seen a 150mm hub? It sure doesn't sound like it.

150 rear hubs are so much stronger than a 135. I have broken 135 rear hubs[/Quote]

oh yeah???

what 135 hubs have you broken and how?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011876
Mobile Version of Website