Powered by Outside

Roscoe 8 geometry changes

PB Forum :: Trek
Roscoe 8 geometry changes
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 13, 2023 at 1:00 Quote
Hello all!
I can't find any discussion on this anywhere, so I thought I'd ask here.

So yeah I've just recently bought a Roscoe 8 that I got a really good deal on, but was wanting to make some changes to the geometry.
I upped the 35 Gold fork from the stock 120mm to 140mm. I've bought a 2 degree works angled headset (not fitted yet) and I'm converting it to a 29 wheels (not built yet).
I've kinda calculated the geo number changes and it seems that it should bring it somewhat inline with the Roscoe 9 (which is what I'm looking for, more of an aggressive type hardcore ride)
Has any of you done anything similar to your Roscoes? If so, how'd the changes work out in terms of handling, performance and feel?
I know a lot of folk would tell me to leave well enough alone, just ride the thing as is....but i am curious to see if these changes could work.

Any insight, help or info would be great!

Thanks

Posted: Nov 15, 2023 at 18:28 Quote
I built a 2019 Roscoe 8 as a 29er with a 120mm fork initially, then settled on a 130mm fork. I used 29x2.6 tires. It was pretty capable, but I don't know how it compares to the stock Roscoe as I never tried it with 27.5 wheels.

I built my current Roscoe (2023 frameset) with a 150mm fork. I ran 29x2.6 initially, but ended up going with 29x3.0. The older Roscoe is a nice bike, but I think that the latest generation is in a different league. Much more capable and the rear end is quite a bit more compliant over bumps. It's also through axle boost front and rear instead of the QR rear on the older generation.

The mods you're doing will bring the HA closer to the 65.5° of the newer one, but keep in mind that the ST angle will get slacker, and the reach shorter.

It's worth mentioning that the latest generation Roscoe 8 and 9 share the same geos. Only the Roscoe 6 is different.

If I was riding rough trails, I would keep the 27.5x2.8, especially on the rear!

Posted: Nov 19, 2023 at 3:31 Quote
Hi mate, apologies for the late reply as I just seen yours.
I actually ditched the idea of modding the Roscoe 8 and bought a nukeproof scout 290 frame. Most of the stuff from the Roscoe will swap over fine and the geo is more what I'm looking.

Thanks again for the info.

Posted: Nov 19, 2023 at 3:32 Quote
zeeino wrote:
I built a 2019 Roscoe 8 as a 29er with a 120mm fork initially, then settled on a 130mm fork. I used 29x2.6 tires. It was pretty capable, but I don't know how it compares to the stock Roscoe as I never tried it with 27.5 wheels.

I built my current Roscoe (2023 frameset) with a 150mm fork. I ran 29x2.6 initially, but ended up going with 29x3.0. The older Roscoe is a nice bike, but I think that the latest generation is in a different league. Much more capable and the rear end is quite a bit more compliant over bumps. It's also through axle boost front and rear instead of the QR rear on the older generation.

The mods you're doing will bring the HA closer to the 65.5° of the newer one, but keep in mind that the ST angle will get slacker, and the reach shorter.

It's worth mentioning that the latest generation Roscoe 8 and 9 share the same geos. Only the Roscoe 6 is different.

If I was riding rough trails, I would keep the 27.5x2.8, especially on the rear!
Hi mate, apologies for the late reply as I just seen yours.
I actually ditched the idea of modding the Roscoe 8 and bought a nukeproof scout 290 frame. Most of the stuff from the Roscoe will swap over fine and the geo is more what I'm looking.

Thanks again for the info.

Posted: Nov 19, 2023 at 15:56 Quote
Congrats on the Scout! A buddy rides one. You're going to love it

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008278
Mobile Version of Website