E-bikes in Sedona?

PB Forum :: USA - Rockies & Midwest
E-bikes in Sedona?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Nov 14, 2023 at 16:25 Quote
Just wondering if e-bikes are allowed on most or all of the trails in the Sedona area? I ride an anology bike, but my wife rides an e-bike. We were planning a little trip to the area and are wondering about some of the rules. Thanks in advance for any help.

O+
Posted: Nov 19, 2023 at 8:11 Quote
Maybe I should rephrase my question, are pedal assist bikes allowed in Sedona? I understand that e-bikes that do not require actual pedalling input and work off a twist throttle could be banned. But after some research it looks like pedal assist is okay and not throttle operated bikes. Again, I can’t find a clear 100% answer to this? Some threads say it’s okay, while others say it’s not. Thanks again for any insight regarding this topic. And just to be clear, it’s my wife that rides the e-bike, not me, but it has been a game changer for sure! She can now ride as long as I can ride, not as quick, but at least as long. And again, thanks.

Posted: Nov 19, 2023 at 11:24 Quote
All class e-bikes are banned in Sedona. You can't ride them on any of the trails as they are in forest service land. The many times I have been there though, I see a lot of ebikes on the trails. I personally wouldn't do it but it seems to be loosely enforced.

O+
Posted: Nov 19, 2023 at 19:42 Quote
Thanks for the reply @Thecommoncoy, I appreciate that. We’re not interested in breaking any rules, and it sucks that they haven’t opened up to pedal assist bikes yet. It really is a shame, I understand not allowing electric dirt bikes, and throttle operated bikes, but pedal assist, not so much. Oh well, it will happen eventually. And until then we’ll have to ride at e friendly spots. Thanks again for the reply.

Posted: Mar 27, 2024 at 13:55 Quote
Hey I'm in the same situation as you, wife is on an Ebike to pedal with me in Sedona. Did you end up finding anything to ride with her? Do they enforce restrictions on pedal assist (class 1) Ebikes?

Thanks.

O+
Posted: Mar 28, 2024 at 5:16 Quote
Hey @sryan32 we ended up going to North Carolina instead, and taking a regular bike for her to ride. No e-bikes allowed there either though in the state parks. Such a bummer because it made for smaller rides. When we got back home and she got back on the e-bike we could bust out some more big rides. I don’t understand why a class 1 e-bike is banned in so many places. It really is a shame.

Posted: Mar 28, 2024 at 6:18 Quote
bags1 wrote:
I don’t understand why a class 1 e-bike is banned in so many places.

Well, it's because many state parks, national parks and forests are still operating under antiquated regulations that focus on the language of "motor vehicles". Without a change or amendment to these policies the e-bikes get lumped into the same "motor vehicle" category and practically all the trails are off limits to motor vehicles.
Since we're talking about very large, under manned and probably underfunded organizations it will most likely take multiple years and political motivation before their regulations get tweaked and tailored to allow specific classes of e-bikes on the trails. Also, they most likely have much more pressing projects such as dealing with wildfires and such so the trail usage designations are probably at the very bottom of the 'to-do" list. The US very nearly had policy change instituted to allow e-bikes on USFS trails a couple years ago but that got sidetracked for some reason - I can't remember what happened. Have to Google it and remind myself.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008656
Mobile Version of Website