1.5 tapered steerer in 1.5 straight headtube compatability

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
1.5 tapered steerer in 1.5 straight headtube compatability
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
FL
Posted: Jan 22, 2024 at 8:23 Quote
Doing a refresh on a clean 06' Cannondale Chase frame. Old forks are blown and I'm looking to replace with a Bomber DJ. Bomber forks are 1.5 tapered steerer. Chase frame has a 1.5 straight headtube. What hardware do I need to make this work/is this even possible?

I'm a noob with this stuff, apologies.

Cheers

Posted: Jan 22, 2024 at 11:16 Quote
i believe that frame has 49mm upper and lower headtube
if you are running a tapered fork then what you need is an upper cup with 49mm external and 28.9mmm internal, and a lower cup with 49mm external and 40mm internal

these can come in either zero stack or external cup options depending on how much steerer tube you have and what a-c you want for the fork, generally people run zero stack upper and external lower

example, this would work for you
https://cannondaleexperts.com/collections/49mm-headsets/products/cane-creek-40-series-zs49-28-6-ec49-40-headset-49mm-frame-w-tapered-fork-black?variant=35558590447768

since your current fork uses the same upper size, really all you would need is a new lower cup with larger internal diameter to match the larger tapered fork, that would be a ec49/40

you may also even be able to just swap the bearing in your lower cup, idk what brand you have, but if you match the bearing angle contact (there are 2 common ones depending on brand), then you could just swap the bearing and a matching race for the fork and be done

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009639
Mobile Version of Website