Powered by Outside

Shimano XTR BR-M9120 woes

PB Forum :: Shimano
Shimano XTR BR-M9120 woes
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 7, 2024 at 9:12 Quote
Hi there

I bought a pair of XTR BR-M9120 calipers (new) from a reputable seller on eBay. They didn't come with anything, no bolts, no pads etc, which wasn't a problem as I had sourced the official parts.

I started with the front brake first. Put a new cable on, banjo bolt etc. I mounted it to my fork and then went to install the pads.
That's where the trouble began..

I bought some third-party ceramic finned brake pads from an online bike shop, as they manufacture them themselves.

I couldn't get the pads to go in to the caliper in an easy manner, and so I forced them in with just my fingers. I put the wheel back on and did the caliper set up so that there was no disc rub.

I spun the wheel and put the brake on, and I had continuous rubbing on the pads. On further inspection, I could see that the pads were not moving back after the pistons reset.

I went to take the pads out but I couldn't physically do it with my finger and thumb, they were completely wedged in. I had to use a screwdriver to get the spring clip out first, and then remove the pads one at a time.

It seems the pads & spring clip are too wide to fit in the caliper, there's no freedom of movement like the XT brakes I took off.

I thought I may have had a duff set of pads, so I bought another third-party ceramic set from another shop, went through the entire process again, only to have the same problem.

I quickly popped to my lbs and picked up an official Shimano N03A resin set, and guess what? Same issue!

I tried to push the spring clip in by itself and it just wedges inside of the caliper, the same with putting a pad in one at a time.

I've never encountered such a problem before, and it's left me very confused. I have sent a message to the seller, but I wanted to post here to see of anyone has come across such an issue before.

Cheers.

Posted: Mar 7, 2024 at 13:15 Quote
Super weird.
New product with receipt? Warranty I'd think.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006786
Mobile Version of Website