Riding Destinations - June - August

PB Forum :: Australia / New-Zealand
Riding Destinations - June - August
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Mar 18, 2024 at 11:23 Quote
Looking for some advice from the locals for a visit outside the normal riding season.

Rider Context
I am a Vancouver Island, BC rider, I regularly ride single black (whistler standard) enduro type trails here with plenty of rock rolls. I generally focus on more technical over jumps, I avoid large gaps and drops as a general rule, more than happy to walk or ride around features that are above my skill. I do like a good blue flow, or black progression trail. Wet riding is not a concern but I don't want to destroy anyone's trails by riding in the rain/wet.

Question
I am travelling to Australia for work in the June - August timeframe this year, I expect to have periods of 5-7 days for riding between work shifts, flying in/out of Adelaide or Brisbane. What riding destinations in Australia & New Zealand would be in good shape at this point in the year?

Are Tasmania (Maydena (park is closed but the rest of the area?), Hobart area) good in the winter?

There looks to be some riding around Adelaide and Brisbane on Trailforks, what locations are best? Any other locations in Australia proper that I should try for?

Is the North Island of New Zealand (Rotorua, ?) better than the South (Queenstown, Nelson) at this time of year?

I'll be looking to rent a bike at each destination, so recommendations for shops would also be great.

Anywhere else I should consider while I'm there? Any other must see locations for a Canadian?

TIA

O+
Posted: Mar 18, 2024 at 20:19 Quote
Queenstown will be into ski season then, so places like Cardrona and Coronet will be skifields instead of bike parks and some other trails around the area will be closed to prevent damage even if they aren't covered in snow.

There is still some really good riding at lower levels all year round (weather dependent for any given day/week), but Queenstown area is generally much better for riding in summer.

I've never ridden Nelson or Rotorua to comment on their winter riding, other than that being further north they have much milder winters.

O+
Posted: Mar 22, 2024 at 12:39 Quote
Gravelben wrote:
Queenstown will be into ski season then, so places like Cardrona and Coronet will be skifields instead of bike parks and some other trails around the area will be closed to prevent damage even if they aren't covered in snow.

There is still some really good riding at lower levels all year round (weather dependent for any given day/week), but Queenstown area is generally much better for riding in summer.

I've never ridden Nelson or Rotorua to comment on their winter riding, other than that being further north they have much milder winters.

Thanks, looking at the trail reports on Trailforks looks like Rotura is a good bet.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008418
Mobile Version of Website