Relative Newbie to biking here - at least, biking as an adult rather than a lad with a 2nd hand bike held together with string!
I've twice taken my Marlin 5 to Swinley Forest. And twice the rear mech has tried to mate with the back wheel. The first time I went for the dropper lever and hit the gear shift and the mech snapped. This time my wife was riding and it kept sucking the chain up at the front mech. After a few minutes she said it just twisted up and that was that.
After the first time, I replaced like for like (Shimano Altera) and spent a long time setting up as per Park Tools YouTube video. The chap at the Bike Hub said it looked fine and couldn't see any reason, misalignment or bad adjustment to cause it to happen.
The bike is 2 years old and was bought from Evans Cycles. It's barely been beyond 2 trips to Swinley and pedalling along the sea front with my daughter perched on the cross bar.
Do you think I'll have any comeback from Evans?
Frankly I just want shot of it for something better! I'm thinking of a Roscoe 7 or 8...