you dont need bigger
that way u can wap it on ur bars

Posted: Apr 6, 2008 at 11:11 Quote
thats another bad point of the ms 880

its expensive

Posted: Apr 7, 2008 at 10:46 Quote
kylemalachi wrote:
roy-boy23 wrote:
i still think stihls are the best, my dad got mine when i was 8 every year we cut 40 cord of fire wood and then i take it out to the bush and take out another 10-15.... in the 8 years this saw has belong to us its never .... never had a problem. id like to see a husky do that

I used to work in cord wood with a Husq. and We would bang out about 400 cords a year, never a problem with it. New chains, a carb replacement once a year (it's good for a saw thats used a lot) and the other obvious little things will keep it running forever.

Also, when you're 8 I highly doubt your hanging around your dad when he is fixing the saw. Not to start an argument, but everythign breaks eventually.
i said went i was 8 lol, and its very true.... even if it was possible to fork out 10 000 on a saw its still gone break

Posted: Apr 7, 2008 at 11:50 Quote
photo

this is my trail building baby!

O+
Posted: Apr 8, 2008 at 21:07 Quote
mchong1228 wrote:
I am mainly looking at husqvarna chainsaws. Shall i look at the electric ones?

or shall i get the small gas one?

are there any expert builderss that can give me advice.
im not planning on taking any big trees down. like 30-40ft max

I'll give you some advice...don't cut down live trees to build trails. It's lazy and makes us look bad.

Posted: Apr 9, 2008 at 6:00 Quote
valleyrider wrote:
mchong1228 wrote:

I'll give you some advice...don't cut down live trees to build trails. It's lazy and makes us look bad.

I agree 100%, never take live trees, there's enough problems out there for riders and builders.

Posted: Apr 9, 2008 at 7:39 Quote
bullitxl wrote:
valleyrider wrote:
mchong1228 wrote:

I agree 100%, never take live trees, there's enough problems out there for riders and builders.
Looks like this trail of yours is using new trees....

photo

Posted: Apr 9, 2008 at 7:48 Quote
harlieandhis250 wrote:
]Looks like this trail of yours is using new trees....

Blowdowns. I use them all the time.

photo

Posted: Apr 9, 2008 at 7:51 Quote
[Quote="harlieandhis250"]
bullitxl wrote:
valleyrider wrote:

Actually no, these were all dead when they were fell. It's a policy I've always used. We've got tons of pine beetle kill so dead trees are plentiful. A few years ago it was a lot harder to find them. some of those trees were a bitch to drag up the side of the mountain to where we wanted to put them. We also make a point of never nailing into live trees. All my work is freestanding.

Posted: Apr 9, 2008 at 8:03 Quote
[Quote="bullitxl"]
harlieandhis250 wrote:
bullitxl wrote:

Actually no, these were all dead when they were fell. It's a policy I've always used. We've got tons of pine beetle kill so dead trees are plentiful. A few years ago it was a lot harder to find them. some of those trees were a bitch to drag up the side of the mountain to where we wanted to put them. We also make a point of never nailing into live trees. All my work is freestanding.
I'm only gonna belive you cuz we have the same pine beetle problem:P. They just look pretty fresh, either way though live trees or not, your trail looks hella f*ckin sic!

Posted: May 15, 2008 at 14:49 Quote
are the pro series husqvarnas any good these days

Posted: May 23, 2008 at 13:04 Quote
So are used chainsaws always that bad of an idea? Because of the high forest fire danger in San Diego many people buy a chainsaw and use it once to clear brush away from their yard and then sell them right afterwards. I see stihl and husquarvarna(sp?) saws on craigslist here for around $150 all the time. How can I tell if one still has some life in it or is just plain beat?

Posted: May 23, 2008 at 13:15 Quote
If any of you have heard of Dave Jewett he is from pittsford newyork and is a good friend of my dad's he is on the stihl outdoorsman chalenges on espn and when he is at home cutting(we help him out) he occasionally uses his hot-saw to cut trees down

Posted: May 23, 2008 at 13:46 Quote
Diablito wrote:
So are used chainsaws always that bad of an idea? Because of the high forest fire danger in San Diego many people buy a chainsaw and use it once to clear brush away from their yard and then sell them right afterwards. I see stihl and husquarvarna(sp?) saws on craigslist here for around $150 all the time. How can I tell if one still has some life in it or is just plain beat?

thats a really good question. i do not consider myself in any way a chainsaw expert, but i use one quite regularly in my recreational time. hmmm that kinda sounds like the texas chainsaw massacrerer, but anyway, i don't like buying used stuff because of concerns about wasting money, or else if its gonna blow up in my face, or fall apart on me- like a motorbike. i'll never buy another used motorbike.

but $150 is not a lot of money to lose, and the most dangerous part of the saw is the chain, which is also cheap, so you'd replace it right away. your a fool not too. i would look at the bar on the saw, and see if its worn to hell, i'd look at the plastic guide that runs inside around the sprocket area to see if its worn to hell, i'd bring a big ass chunk of wood to the dude and have him chop the shit out of it, length wise, width wise, etc, and see how it cuts, and listen to the engine as he works with it. its really all about the engine and what kinda shape its in, and since its a 2 stroke and you can't really see the mileage on it(well i can't, and im no mechanic), you might haveta gamble and trust the owner a bit....

i spose theres more things to look for when buying a used saw but thats a start.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.036379
Mobile Version of Website