To skid or not to skid.

PB Forum :: Downhill
To skid or not to skid.
Posted: Mar 21, 2008 at 9:20 Quote
Its all about evolution of the track, if you create bumps/ruts through skidding, it just means theres a new bit of the trail to think about.
Its only groomed trails you shouldn't do that to, but then, you don't need to; as groomed corners can be hit at like mach 3.....

Can someone find/post a vid of a locked up switchback that looks pretty gnar?

O+
Posted: Mar 21, 2008 at 10:44 Quote
jf951 wrote:
so i dunno if any of you guys have ever ridden a motorcycle, pushed a car to its limits, done speedboarding or anything along those lines, but for any of them NOwhere is it recomended that you even concider touching the brakes in a turn.

always get all ur breaking done before the turn. coast the first half and power out of the second half.

i personaly always try to pin a turn.
as cool as drifting is, all it is, is loosing speed.
and the more speed you loose the longer it takes to get down the hill and the longer that clock is gonna tick

- Skidding is just grabbing a handful of brakes and swinging the rear out, and is pretty much pointless
drifting and skidding are very different though, when you see someone like sam hill drift a corner he hasn't braked at all, its all going so fast the tires break traction on their own. Also a proper drift does not result in the energy loss of skididng or over braking before hand. more energy conserved = less difficulty pedaling = more energy to sprint where its needed.

I try to not skid and usually am not fast enough to properly drift a corner.

Posted: Mar 21, 2008 at 10:59 Quote
Ya drifting is a skill you can use to wack open corners at high speed while not losing momentum, skidding is just some lame manuver some people pull when they are scared or trying to show off.

Posted: Mar 21, 2008 at 11:10 Quote
Evol wrote:
I'll lock my rear brake whenever I feel like it! Simple as that. I don't give a sh!t about the trails. They're there for me to have fun whichever way I want.
same as me!! There's downhill place in less than 1-2 hour of car from where i live. So, when i have the chance to ride downhill, i do it for fun. I like speed, and i don't care if i skid or not. I just want to fast because its fun.

Posted: Mar 21, 2008 at 11:12 Quote
lilwalters wrote:
Evol wrote:
I'll lock my rear brake whenever I feel like it! Simple as that. I don't give a sh!t about the trails. They're there for me to have fun whichever way I want.

well that's hardly a considerate attitude... it's people with attitudes like that that give trails like a-line mean ass speed bumps on all the berms. people need to stop being so inwardly focused and think about the people who put countless hours into the trails they love.

yea evol, where do you think the trails that are there for you to ride come from? thats one of the reasons trails get shut down to bikers. we need to gain the respect of public. besides from the fact that skidding is just ignorent people who dont know how to brake. do it on your own trails you build or dh tracks, feel free. on public trails, try to refrain form that. besides you go faster when you dont brake!

Posted: Mar 21, 2008 at 11:12 Quote
charlou61 wrote:
Evol wrote:
same as me!! There's downhill place in less than 1-2 hour of car fromwhere i live. So, when i have the change to ride downhill, i do it for fun. I like speed, and i don't care if i skid or not. I just want to fast because its fun.

So, pretty much you guys have no problem with ruining trails? The trails aren't just for you to enjoy, they're for everyone to enjoy, and your retarded brand of "fun" ruins the fun for others. Way to be.

Posted: Mar 21, 2008 at 11:17 Quote
charlou61 wrote:
Evol wrote:
same as me!! There's downhill place in less than 1-2 hour of car fromwhere i live. So, when i have the change to ride downhill, i do it for fun. I like speed, and i don't care if i skid or not. I just want to fast because its fun.

going fast and skidding everywhere means you need to up some skills. if you cant handle the menouvers you need when going fast without skidding, then you need to not worry about how fast you going and focus on skills, then comes the speed.

Posted: Mar 21, 2008 at 11:25 Quote
I really agree with BmxRacer, I say skidders are actually a step lower then a unskilled rider

Posted: Mar 21, 2008 at 11:36 Quote
To me, it seems as though skidding is really a multi-purpose "Oh Shit!" button. Until you've developed other skills such as drifting, when in doubt, skid!

The problem with that is that then some riders rely solely on skidding, resulting in damage to both trails and their own development as a rider.

(I realize there are holes in my argument as special circumstances can require skidding.)

Posted: Mar 21, 2008 at 11:39 Quote
skidding isnt against the law, but it shouldnt be the first thing you do when you see a corner

Posted: Mar 21, 2008 at 11:39 Quote
Ya you get two types of skidders, the ones that ride with locked brakes and these that use it in emergency, end of dh run etc.

Posted: Mar 21, 2008 at 11:44 Quote
sherbet wrote:
charlou61 wrote:
Evol wrote:

So, pretty much you guys have no problem with ruining trails? The trails aren't just for you to enjoy, they're for everyone to enjoy, and your retarded brand of "fun" ruins the fun for others. Way to be.

fist of all you have to realize we ride at bromont, if you have ever ridden there you would understand. also i some times will lock up my back brake and brake with my front brake later in a corner to change the dynamics of my bike (something cars dont need 2 do as much) when i lock my back wheel my suspension locks up and i can keep the bike higher in its travel, and when i brake later in a turn my front end drops down, now my bike is gona have a much tighter head angle and my front end will be lower, near the apex of my turn i release the back brake and squat into my bike to lower my center of gravity and i release my front brake to really push the bike into the curve, then try and either pump or pedal out of the turn. some times my back wheels skids some times it does not, depends on the trail and conditions

Posted: Mar 21, 2008 at 11:46 Quote
spag wrote:
sherbet wrote:
charlou61 wrote:

fist of all you have to realize we ride at bromont, if you have ever ridden there you would understand. also i some times will lock up my back brake and brake with my front brake later in a corner to change the dynamics of my bike (something cars dont need 2 do as much) when i lock my back wheel my suspension locks up and i can keep the bike higher in its travel, and when i brake later in a turn my front end drops down, now my bike is gona have a much tighter head angle and my front end will be lower, near the apex of my turn i release the back brake and squat into my bike to lower my center of gravity and i release my front brake to really push the bike into the curve, then try and either pump or pedal out of the turn. some times my back wheels skids some times it does not, depends on the trail and conditions

Ruining the trails is ruining the trails, no matter how you put it.

O+
Posted: Mar 21, 2008 at 11:50 Quote
Intense M3, Boxxer WC, both set up properly, Proper tires for conditions, knowing how to corner, means no skidding.....

Posted: Mar 21, 2008 at 11:50 Quote
well thats at bromont though, those trails are meant to be ridden like an animal. you dont want to skid on publictrails

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018526
Mobile Version of Website