To skid or not to skid.

PB Forum :: Downhill
To skid or not to skid.
O+
Posted: Mar 21, 2008 at 11:50 Quote
vppbikedeefer wrote:
Intense M3, Boxxer WC, both set up properly, Proper tires for conditions, knowing how to corner, means no skidding.....

Works for me anyway!

Posted: Mar 21, 2008 at 11:55 Quote
vppbikedeefer wrote:
vppbikedeefer wrote:
Intense M3, Boxxer WC, both set up properly, Proper tires for conditions, knowing how to corner, means no skidding.....

Works for me anyway!

Have a sticker.

O+
Posted: Mar 21, 2008 at 12:03 Quote
theoutpost wrote:
vppbikedeefer wrote:
vppbikedeefer wrote:

Works for me anyway!

Have a sticker.
A gold star please

Posted: Mar 21, 2008 at 12:03 Quote
vppbikedeefer wrote:
theoutpost wrote:
vppbikedeefer wrote:

Works for me anyway!

Have a sticker.
A gold star please
Done.

O+
Posted: Mar 21, 2008 at 12:07 Quote
I'm just saying, to go fast in Dh, and keep your momentum, you need to have the proper equipment for the intended purpose. I see guys riding 2.1" half tread tires with 45psi on our slick trails here in BC. And what do you know, they skid in every corner and on any steep descent....

Posted: Mar 21, 2008 at 12:13 Quote
vppbikedeefer wrote:
I'm just saying, to go fast in Dh, and keep your momentum, you need to have the proper equipment for the intended purpose. I see guys riding 2.1" half tread tires with 45psi on our slick trails here in BC. And what do you know, they skid in every corner and on any steep descent....

Ahaa, so you do have a point to share.

Yes, tyres are a factor, but thats not what this thread is really about, my guess is that 80% of people posting in this thread are pretty capable of choosing the right tyre. Its more an issue of riding styles, different trails and abilities.

O+
Posted: Mar 21, 2008 at 12:19 Quote
Well, NOT skidding is always faster! If you are skidding it is for style points only. There is no reason to skid. I some instances when loss of control is imminent, its time to do whatever you can, including skidding to change your line etc. If you're a Rally driver....use your E-brake and get that s*@t sideways! Otherwise not.

Posted: Mar 21, 2008 at 12:36 Quote
say im coming around a corner fast and the trail is at an off camber then i will skid both wheels into the edge of the trail for more grip but i wont be using my brakes to do this just the wheels sliding on there own accord. does this make sense?

Posted: Mar 21, 2008 at 12:37 Quote
thenotoriousmic wrote:
say im coming around a corner fast and the trail is at an off camber then i will skid both wheels into the edge of the trail for more grip but i wont be using my brakes to do this just the wheels sliding on there own accord. does this make sense?

Yes, thats what I do on certain corners. But what if the ridge isn't there and its completely off camber?

Posted: Mar 21, 2008 at 12:41 Quote
sooner of latter that trail is going to straiten up again all i do then is ether ride it out or lean into the way the way the bikes sliding and it normaly straightens the bike enough for the tyres to grip again. if you cant get the lean a hop or a small power wheelie should sort it. ether way your never going to slide more then three meters like this without slowing down.

Posted: Mar 21, 2008 at 12:44 Quote
Another time that i purposely skid, is on a wet corner that has off-camber exposed roots. Just power up to the corner, tap the back brake, and your rear tyre will hook onto a root and slide down like 6 inches or so - instant direction change, faster than slowing down to stay on the roots.

Posted: Mar 21, 2008 at 12:55 Quote
theoutpost wrote:
Another time that i purposely skid, is on a wet corner that has off-camber exposed roots. Just power up to the corner, tap the back brake, and your rear tyre will hook onto a root and slide down like 6 inches or so - instant direction change, faster than slowing down to stay on the roots.

im not a fan of that i like to spend as littel time a possible on tree roots hitting them as squarly and as fast as i can.

O+
Posted: Mar 21, 2008 at 13:00 Quote
it is usually be best for you to keep traction but in cases like cutties and high speed hairpin turns you move your weight forget grabbing the brake expt when you start your slide.

Posted: Mar 21, 2008 at 13:35 Quote
did you just say grab your brake when you start to slide?

O+
Posted: Mar 21, 2008 at 13:45 Quote
not a cuttie slide when theres a hairpin i turn my front wheel arond grab my rear break, pull it up and swing it around so why my wheels are alignedand i pedal off

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019429
Mobile Version of Website