Santa Cruz V10

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz V10
O+
Posted: Feb 16, 2019 at 15:33 Quote
Extra standover height is always welcome in my books.

Posted: Feb 22, 2019 at 3:25 Quote
Hi, I have a 2014 Santa Cruz V10.5 with a Fox DHX2 shock and a 450lb SLS spring (I weigh 80 kg)
The shock settings are driving me nuts, especially LSR and HSR. Can't find any combination that I feel comfortable with.
What is a good starting point for this shock? The recommended settings by FOX don't feel right.

Thanks

Posted: Feb 22, 2019 at 12:48 Quote
I’ve always run stiffer than normal springs on my bikes and the v10 makes me run a much stiffer spring than my other bikes, maybe you need a 500 -550 spring first, bike might be too saggy if the spring is not stiff enough

Posted: Mar 5, 2019 at 17:07 Quote
New v10.6 owner here, absolutely stoked with the bike, except for the ridiculous chain slap.

For anyone struggling for solutions, I got one of these little devices and now it is dead silent, highly recommend!!!

https://chaintameruk.co.uk/

O+
Posted: Mar 5, 2019 at 17:32 Quote
chaosmtb wrote:
I’ve always run stiffer than normal springs on my bikes and the v10 makes me run a much stiffer spring than my other bikes, maybe you need a 500 -550 spring first, bike might be too saggy if the spring is not stiff enough
Yea I agree. I am currently running a 650 spring on my 2017 v10cc. Finally not bottoming out as hard as before. The new bikes are a higher leverage ratio from what I hear?

Posted: Mar 9, 2019 at 10:59 Quote
Hello Noah here,

I saw there were a few questions directed to the bit heavier rider with springs and so on, now I think as I am one of them I can help out a bit here.
I own my Santa since 3 years now and it seen a lot of bike parks days and I like to think of my self as an upper mid class rider with skills and speed, I weight about 250 lbs or 113 kg.
It was really difficult for me to find the right spring for my V10, as there were no SLS springs back when I bought the bike.
Well now the Important part for all of us:
I ordered a custom TI Spring which was ok at the beginning but (I snapped the spring) I quickly learned that when you are on the top end of the V10 weight wise, you kind of ned to go 1 Spring size to heavy. Well that meant for me That I needed to get a 700 Spring. So I bought a 700x2.8 spring which my friends in whistler managed to order for me. It is possible to install this spring to your Dhx2 as I have done but you need a tool or a few friends and a lot of power to compress the spring a bit before installing.
The result was that the bike still feels ok but I don’t have the problem any more with bottoming out, I think that was the reason why I broke my spring before, it always was easy to bottom the spring out for me.
Keep in mind that I’m just a regular joe and I don’t have any professional knowledge about bike but feel free to ask questions if you need help with the spring or so.

Posted: Mar 18, 2019 at 7:10 Quote
V1029 just arrived in my local store - grey CC frames with S build, look fantastic. Frame only option has not arrived.

Posted: Mar 18, 2019 at 8:43 Quote
Damn I am waiting om frame, keeps getting delayed

Posted: Mar 18, 2019 at 11:53 Quote
christiaan wrote:
did they even tell when it would arrive? I ordered one in Dec and at the time they said March but nothing till now..

O+
Posted: Mar 18, 2019 at 11:55 Quote
SUIHugo wrote:
Hello Noah here,

I saw there were a few questions directed to the bit heavier rider with springs and so on, now I think as I am one of them I can help out a bit here.
I own my Santa since 3 years now and it seen a lot of bike parks days and I like to think of my self as an upper mid class rider with skills and speed, I weight about 250 lbs or 113 kg.
It was really difficult for me to find the right spring for my V10, as there were no SLS springs back when I bought the bike.
Well now the Important part for all of us:
I ordered a custom TI Spring which was ok at the beginning but (I snapped the spring) I quickly learned that when you are on the top end of the V10 weight wise, you kind of ned to go 1 Spring size to heavy. Well that meant for me That I needed to get a 700 Spring. So I bought a 700x2.8 spring which my friends in whistler managed to order for me. It is possible to install this spring to your Dhx2 as I have done but you need a tool or a few friends and a lot of power to compress the spring a bit before installing.
The result was that the bike still feels ok but I don’t have the problem any more with bottoming out, I think that was the reason why I broke my spring before, it always was easy to bottom the spring out for me.
Keep in mind that I’m just a regular joe and I don’t have any professional knowledge about bike but feel free to ask questions if you need help with the spring or so.

Putting on the 650 spring was frustrating for me. What did you use? The spring collar was slightly to deep to slip onto the end of the shock so i use zip ties to compress it. Once the spring is on i still have at least 1/4" of preload room left on the shock collar thread.
Im 175 pounds and this spring is finally firm enough where im not bottoming out extremely hard.

Im a little worried what spring ill need once i get the 2019 frame. Those have an increased leverage ratio?

Posted: Mar 18, 2019 at 15:59 Quote
christiaan wrote:

Hopefully not too long, I’ll post any updates if I hear anything. Here’s the first CC S build I’ve seen, a mate’s CC S build. Size L.

V10.7 CC S

Posted: Mar 19, 2019 at 16:33 Quote
Pedro019 wrote:
christiaan wrote:
did they even tell when it would arrive? I ordered one in Dec and at the time they said March but nothing till now..
First I was told mid February, then around 20 March

O+
Posted: Mar 19, 2019 at 17:16 Quote
my X01 29 is still at least three weeks out.

Posted: Mar 19, 2019 at 21:50 Quote
looks good, i have not seen how SC deals with the adjustable chainstay length and disc brake mounting, seems by your pic they dont have any adjustment chip at your dropout

Posted: Mar 22, 2019 at 8:41 Quote
Putting on the 650 spring was frustrating for me. What did you use? The spring collar was slightly to deep to slip onto the end of the shock so i use zip ties to compress it. Once the spring is on i still have at least 1/4" of preload room left on the shock collar thread.
Im 175 pounds and this spring is finally firm enough where im not bottoming out extremely hard.

Im a little worried what spring ill need once i get the 2019 frame. Those have an increased leverage ratio?[/Quote]

The 650 Titanium which I had custom made was short enough to fit the shock in length but then I had the issue with the spring being to thick and robbing against the shock.
The Standard Fox 2.8 x 700 I ordered was the opposite, it was slightly to long to fit the endcap on, I guess you das the same Problem?
The solutions, well the thing I did was to use a special tool (spring compressor) but if you don’t have one you can just use a pincer to squash the spring enough to get the endcap on. I had to do this once and its wasn’t to pleasant for the spring as the paint gets scratched and its tuff you need at least 1 buddy to help you.
If you are thinking of buying the new V10 and are close to Whistler, I think Evolution Bike Shop in Whistler should have the new V10 as rentals, you could rent one for a day. They also have 700 springs to put on the rentals so you could try it out if it works for you.
Sorry for the late answer
Noah

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.044516
Mobile Version of Website