ironhorse sunday fox 40 or boxxer

PB Forum :: Downhill
ironhorse sunday fox 40 or boxxer
Posted: Apr 25, 2008 at 17:05 Quote
foxmtbing wrote:
gnarkore wrote:
Boxxer hands down, the internals in the 40's are junk, the stanctions and lowers are huge and arent needed to be that big. preformance wise the boxxer out does a 40. and trust me ive ridden and broke a 40 and i have yet to bust a boxxer

I am sorry but that is total bullshit.

You can have your opinion too but i have ridden both forks and i have yet to break a boxxer but i have busted the internals in the 40, unless you buy the ti springs their complete junk

Posted: Apr 25, 2008 at 17:15 Quote
gnarkore wrote:
foxmtbing wrote:
gnarkore wrote:
Boxxer hands down, the internals in the 40's are junk, the stanctions and lowers are huge and arent needed to be that big. preformance wise the boxxer out does a 40. and trust me ive ridden and broke a 40 and i have yet to bust a boxxer

You can have your opinion too but i have ridden both forks and i have yet to break a boxxer but i have busted the internals in the 40, unless you buy the ti springs their complete junk

Kyle your lame, the 40's are amazing. Razz lol

Posted: Apr 25, 2008 at 19:09 Quote
40, no question. Stiffer, pretty much lighter (just feels lighter) USA made and FOX goes to all the major races to take care of their own. SRAM has a bigger budget than FOX and I have not seen them on any MSC race event but yet I saw FOX at most last year. and RS has the "Blackbox Labs" in Colorado even!
FOX for sure.
I've ridden them all (and even worked for Marzocchi) and all the forks out there are good for any given situations and ALL of them have their issues. but when it boils down to carbon footprint, serviceability, tunability, friendliness of the company and willingness to help a fellow rider and racer, FOX just owns it. Plus that thing is just bad a$$ looking.

Posted: Apr 25, 2008 at 19:10 Quote
gnarkore wrote:
foxmtbing wrote:
gnarkore wrote:

I'm pretty sure they come stock with Ti springs.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Posted: Apr 26, 2008 at 7:10 Quote
mi 40 rc2 is lighter than a boxxer i make a ti crown for it and weights like 40g less than boxxer and i love it and that only cost to me 350 dolars

Posted: Apr 26, 2008 at 7:14 Quote
karjim wrote:
mi 40 rc2 is lighter than a boxxer i make a ti crown for it and weights like 40g less than boxxer and i love it and that only cost to me 350 dolars

Or I can waste 350 on a Boxxer Ti crown and make it lighter then yoursRolleyes

Posted: Apr 26, 2008 at 7:35 Quote
i have a friend that can made all the valves and internal parts on ti and i will weight less than a boxxer

Posted: Apr 26, 2008 at 7:49 Quote
My thinking is you'd be much better off going with the fork you think is better. If it was up to me, weight isn't an issue, I need reliability, and little adjustments. What fork offers just that, the 888.

Now if it's up to you, maybe you need something light, you don't care about maintaining your fork frequently, and need so many adjustments that you make the space shuttle look like a toy. Then you'd be well suited with the Boxxer WC. To each his own man, if price isn't an issue, get what you want. We can argue here all day and you won't get anything constructive out of it.

Posted: Apr 26, 2008 at 7:56 Quote
karjim wrote:
i have a friend that can made all the valves and internal parts on ti and i will weight less than a boxxer

Put it on a scale.

Posted: Apr 26, 2008 at 11:25 Quote
m47h13u wrote:
My thinking is you'd be much better off going with the fork you think is better. If it was up to me, weight isn't an issue, I need reliability, and little adjustments. What fork offers just that, the 888.

Now if it's up to you, maybe you need something light, you don't care about maintaining your fork frequently, and need so many adjustments that you make the space shuttle look like a toy. Then you'd be well suited with the Boxxer WC. To each his own man, if price isn't an issue, get what you want. We can argue here all day and you won't get anything constructive out of it.

Soooo true, theres really no comparing high-end fork's, they cost an arm, leg and left nut for a reason. yes they all have their downside, yes they all have their amazing upsides. The one that you prefer is the one to go with, let these fools sit here cyber argueing over who'd they suck off based on what they ride

Posted: Apr 26, 2008 at 17:45 Quote
karjim wrote:

do you have any idea how long that would take, to measure each part down to the 1,000th of an inch, or smaller, and then put it into a cnc form, probably months and thousands of dollars. Unless he has some Hi-tech lazer scanning device that can measure every cut and angle for you which would be a million dollar machine, or he would have to have top secret access to all of fox's measurements, which would probably mean he is a engineer for fox.

or you could buy a boxxer if you wanted a light weight fork. for a small fraction of the price, and it would take 10 minutes to get one super cheap of ebay, like I did.

edit* and after all your months of replicating fox internals in Ti, you would have lost 200-300 grams, maybe.

if your friend is really capable of this, I would like to meet him, and check out the awesome shop he has to accomplish this.

Posted: Apr 26, 2008 at 17:55 Quote
skatejunkie wrote:
karjim wrote:

do you have any idea how long that would take, to measure each part down to the 1,000th of an inch, or smaller, and then put it into a cnc form, probably months and thousands of dollars. Unless he has some Hi-tech lazer scanning device that can measure every cut and angle for you which would be a million dollar machine, or he would have to have top secret access to all of fox's measurements, which would probably mean he is a engineer for fox.

or you could buy a boxxer if you wanted a light weight fork. for a small fraction of the price, and it would take 10 minutes to get one super cheap of ebay, like I did.

edit* and after all your months of replicating fox internals in Ti, you would have lost 200-300 grams, maybe.

if your friend is really capable of this, I would like to meet him, and check out the awesome shop he has to accomplish this.

hahaha your better off taking some stickers off and not running lock on grips h

Posted: Jul 30, 2008 at 11:28 Quote
Both are sweet forks, but i would go with the the fox 40.

Posted: Jul 30, 2008 at 13:59 Quote
i dont think would be hard to make some internals out of ti i made axles and things on cnc machines and lathes and i am 16 if in few year i could mke them with my eyes shut

Posted: Jul 30, 2008 at 14:15 Quote
Ive ridden both forks down several tracks, and myself own the lower end model of the boxxer, the Race. so here it goes:

the boxxer WC:

Start with weight, at just above 6 pounds its bloody light for a downhill fork, running the solair cart and skinny 32mm stanchions, with magnesium alloy cast lowers.
the air spring is extremel light, but is know to cause issues with reliability, and has to be serviced regularly ( do my races every 3-4 weeks, WC's should be done a bit more than that) which means an oil re-lube in the lowers, clean out the seals etc, a 30minute job. having talked t Tim Flooks (possibly the leading MTb Suspension Guru) about upgrading my own forks to WC's, he stated that the air cartridge, with its change in chracteristics as it heats up, seriously reduces the ffectiveness of the blackbox high speed compression unit built into the team and wrorld cups MoCo sticks.
possibly the bst account of this was after several runs down fort william, an unkwon rider could barely tough his WC stanchions as they had heated so much due to the solair cart.

the verdict on the WC's is yeah, go ahead get them,but be ready for a massive amount of servicing very regularly, and the best bet for us racers is the team model, due to its far higher reliablity. the fact is several rockshox riders run Custom Ti springs in team models put into WC lowers, as the trade off for the lack of damping haflway down a WC course can mean 1st place or not even being on the podium.

The Fox 40RC2:
my riding buddy runs these, so i ride them very often down a vareity of tracks, the first thing you notice after riding a boxxer is the supreme stiffness, and the feeling of security you get from them. you feel like youve got a girder atachd to your bike protecting you.
the second thing is the control, the damping is FAR easier to adjust than on the bnoxxer, with the boxxers HSC being internally adjusted, whereas all adjustments on the 40 ar external. this means you can change the settings to adjust to the course easily, a massive bonus.
they weigh roughly the same as aoil boxxer, at around 6.7-6.8lb's. a fair weight considering their massive size.
now stop, get off the bike, take off your gloves and just flick the stanchions and lowers, youl will hear that they are immensley thin compared to boxxers, and above that the 888. having seen photos of lowers broken open on the rock garden at Dunkeld(a notoriously rocky british track) make sure you buy them brand new as the thin lowers can cause issues. these forks also mean you need to look after them well, monthly oil changes are a necessity.

So basically, if your after a fork that you will need dialled in for you, but will be fantastic once fully tuned, but can cause reliablity issues with the air cartridge meaning th better otpion is to havea fully tuned Team Model, go for the boxxer.

though i hate to say it, the Fox 40 is suprerior in the case, it has full external adjustments, it is alot stiffer than the boxxer, requires the same amoun t of care but is a beatifally plush fork, though its downfall is the weaker body of the fork.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.020769
Mobile Version of Website