Pinkbike will be undergoing scheduled maintenance on May 29 at 9pm PST for up to 6 hours. We apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
Powered by Outside

head tube angles- 69 or 72

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
head tube angles- 69 or 72
  • Previous Page
FL
Posted: Apr 28, 2008 at 16:31 Quote
So I am looking at an 08 SS STP or an Eastern Night train. I am a freerider who lives in the city so. . . I need to learn how to DJ and ride park-- The STP has a 69 and the Nighttrain a 72 degree head angle. Is the 72 going to destroy me or what? Any suggestions. Thanks

Posted: Apr 28, 2008 at 16:41 Quote
72 is pretty damn steep. (compared to a FR bike, since you say youre a FR'er) HOWEVER, the bike I'm building up for exactly what you're talking about has a 71* HA. It rides fine there with a Pike at 100mm on it. I bet 72 would be fine for you.

Posted: Apr 28, 2008 at 19:56 Quote
I wish my USB Hero was 72 degrees. Thats not steep at all. I`d say it`s just about perfect.

Posted: Apr 28, 2008 at 21:16 Quote
72 is steep???? Man BMX bikes have 74.5 as a standard with some park bikes running a 75. 72 is not steep. You will get used to it pretty quick and will be MUCH happier in the park with it.

O+
Posted: Apr 28, 2008 at 21:29 Quote
ricar wrote:
72 is steep???? Man BMX bikes have 74.5 as a standard with some park bikes running a 75. 72 is not steep. You will get used to it pretty quick and will be MUCH happier in the park with it.

BMX is pretty different from MTB, man.

Posted: Apr 28, 2008 at 21:30 Quote
Hombre3000 wrote:
ricar wrote:

Modified top post. He said hes a FR'er, so compared to a FR bike, it is steep. I neglected to put the "in comparison to" in my first post. My apologies.

O+
Posted: Apr 28, 2008 at 21:38 Quote
Hummeroid wrote:
Hombre3000 wrote:
ricar wrote:

Modified top post. He said hes a FR'er, so compared to a FR bike, it is steep. I neglected to put the "in comparison to" in my first post. My apologies.

Oh I wasn't calling you out, I was calling this other dude out. lol He's trying to compare a BMX bike to a 26" MTB . . . ?

Posted: Apr 28, 2008 at 21:41 Quote
Hombre3000 wrote:
Hummeroid wrote:
Hombre3000 wrote:

Oh I wasn't calling you out, I was calling this other dude out. lol He's trying to compare a BMX bike to a 26" MTB . . . ?

I know, I could quote yours without scrolling up though Smile *lazy*

FL
Posted: Apr 29, 2008 at 20:13 Quote
cool thanks guys- might get the nighttrain after all- it has nicer parts Wink

Posted: Apr 30, 2008 at 9:10 Quote
OK BMX is different from MTB. If you think I don't know that it's your prob not mine, I have been around long enough. While they are different the idea is to ride the same terrain, and while he is a free rider he is looking for a NEW bike that will NOT be a free ride bike. So why would free riding have any bearing on the new bike? I used to race MX but I don't look for bicycles with motors. In the park the 72 will have a huge advantage but will be twitchier on the DJ's. That being said 72 is still not a steep head angle, add to that the larger wheels, you should be fine. Before you try to make someone look like an idiot, you might want to think they know what they are talking about.

Posted: Apr 30, 2008 at 13:34 Quote
ricar wrote:
OK BMX is different from MTB. If you think I don't know that it's your prob not mine, I have been around long enough. While they are different the idea is to ride the same terrain, and while he is a free rider he is looking for a NEW bike that will NOT be a free ride bike. So why would free riding have any bearing on the new bike? I used to race MX but I don't look for bicycles with motors. In the park the 72 will have a huge advantage but will be twitchier on the DJ's. That being said 72 is still not a steep head angle, add to that the larger wheels, you should be fine. Before you try to make someone look like an idiot, you might want to think they know what they are talking about.

I meant it SOLELY for the purpose of the FEEL of the bike for him. In no way did I say that he needed a bike with a FR range for HA.

I hope you aren't trying to direct that comment to me, as Im just giving him input on the bikes feel in relation to what he's used to... jeez. I also told him the bike Im building up for EXACTLY his purpose has a similar HA, and it should be perfectly fine.

Posted: Apr 30, 2008 at 19:08 Quote
No hombre was the one I was responding to. Seeing as I CAN compare a BMX to an MTB as I have ridden both for quite a while. About 28 on a BMX and 10 on an MTB, and yes there is some overlap as I was on the BMX and MTB for about 4-5 years.

O+
Posted: Apr 30, 2008 at 21:11 Quote
ricar wrote:
No hombre was the one I was responding to. Seeing as I CAN compare a BMX to an MTB as I have ridden both for quite a while. About 28 on a BMX and 10 on an MTB, and yes there is some overlap as I was on the BMX and MTB for about 4-5 years.

You can compare the riding but not so much the frame geometry.

Posted: Apr 30, 2008 at 21:14 Quote
ricar wrote:

Apples and oranges. 2 completely different beasts.

FL
Posted: Apr 30, 2008 at 21:20 Quote
so the 72 should be fine ehh? will it be MUCH twicher on DJ's then the 69 or not really that much difference?? -- anybody got any opinon on the Eastern Nighttrain vrs STP

WORD

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016549
Mobile Version of Website