Homemade Parts!

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Homemade Parts!
Posted: Nov 3, 2019 at 17:00 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
walkingtall76 wrote:
Mr-Magura wrote:

Learn to read, then speak.

Interference fit is proper English for press fit.

Now go to bed, you gotta be well rested for work tomorrow.

Magura Big Grin

Lol - I said press fit "tolerance" idiot! Nothing about interference, Learn English mate, clearly it's not your first language so you're already behind the eight ball. And no- its 1143am here- a beautiful sunny day and probably about to hit the beach on my usual Monday.

You're such a fool- and you still havent answered my three questions...

ohh but its fun with the intelligent ones

photo

Ok Einstein - I'll ask you these three questions that your butt buddy Magura loves avoiding. Answer a simple yes or no for the first one...

In a standard press fit fitting, after the fitment has been made, can you rotate that fitting? And, if so, what degree can it be turned before sacrificing the integrity of that fitting? Lastly- In the said BB you have been referring to- in order to get that fitment in place, by what means are you doing that?

Posted: Nov 3, 2019 at 17:14 Quote
Nobody but you mentioned a standard press fitting, so just like the rest, I fail to see what it has to do with the topic at hand?
With a K interference fit, given the right lube and surface treatment (anodizing), mine was spinning just fine for the like 5 revs it needed to get in and clamp itself.
Just like the example shown here, I simply used a regular Shimano BB wrench.

As I wrote earlier, it's a fact that it works, just like it's a fact that you can't wrap your mind around it.

Normally I'd advice you to quit while you're still ahead, but it's a bit late for that.

Now that you're putting so much effort into telling us all that you're retired, I'd be curious to have a couple of patent numbers to back that up, so we can all see how brilliant you are.

Magura Big Grin

Posted: Nov 3, 2019 at 17:20 Quote
walkingtall76 wrote:
mtbman1980 wrote:
walkingtall76 wrote:

Lol - I said press fit "tolerance" idiot! Nothing about interference, Learn English mate, clearly it's not your first language so you're already behind the eight ball. And no- its 1143am here- a beautiful sunny day and probably about to hit the beach on my usual Monday.

You're such a fool- and you still havent answered my three questions...

photo

Ok- I'll ask you three questions and answer a simple yes or no for the first one... In a standard press fit fitting, after the fitment has been made, can you rotate that fitting? And, if so, what degree can it be turned before sacrificing the integrity of that fitting? Lastly- In the said BB you have been referring to- in order to get that fitment in place, by what means are you doing that?
1.yes - If there was a tool face it could be rotated, it would require the same amount of force as pushing it in.

2. The integrity would not be sacrificed as the material is not past the yield point and all deformation is elastic. This is assuming that's there are no aggressive components in the assembly.

3. You worded this terribly so I'll try and answer what I think you asked. Install would be the same as any other press fit or interference for piece except that the pressing tool is built into the assembly and is retained after install. This has several benefits. One of which is that the cups are kept in tension which reduces the likelihood of them sighting in their bore. This keeps the bb from ovalizing and increases service life of the frame.

O+
Posted: Nov 3, 2019 at 17:32 Quote
1 and 2 it really depends on how tight the fit between them is supposed to be. There are many different levels of pressfit which is what Magura has been saying. The fit between a headset and a bb will have different “tightness” depending on the design.

If the fit is meant to be looser some rotation will be fine but if it is supposed to fit very tight something could be damaged.

As per point 3 Ajax covered that quite well.

Posted: Nov 3, 2019 at 17:48 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
walkingtall76 wrote:
mtbman1980 wrote:

photo

Ok- I'll ask you three questions and answer a simple yes or no for the first one... In a standard press fit fitting, after the fitment has been made, can you rotate that fitting? And, if so, what degree can it be turned before sacrificing the integrity of that fitting? Lastly- In the said BB you have been referring to- in order to get that fitment in place, by what means are you doing that?
1.yes - If there was a tool face it could be rotated, it would require the same amount of force as pushing it in.

2. The integrity would not be sacrificed as the material is not past the yield point and all deformation is elastic. This is assuming that's there are no aggressive components in the assembly.

3. You worded this terribly so I'll try and answer what I think you asked. Install would be the same as any other press fit or interference for piece except that the pressing tool is built into the assembly and is retained after install. This has several benefits. One of which is that the cups are kept in tension which reduces the likelihood of them sighting in their bore. This keeps the bb from ovalizing and increases service life of the frame.

1. IF - again- and No, the force for pressing and rotating are not the same- hence the reason it's pressed not rotated, or else it would have threads!
2. No- any more than a 5 degree rotation of a "pressed fit" application questions the integrity of the said application. It would then need removal and be refitted.

3. "Threads which keep the cups under tension which reduces the likelihood of them sighting in their bore.This keeps the bb from ovalizing and increases service life of the frame"

Well, my original freaking point!... and why? Because the interference of the BB shell and the BB has to be so minimal that it allows you to screw the two sections together in a rotating form, as the interference alone without the internal threads would be too weak to hold the BB in place- it would pull quite fast because it is not a "press fit" fitting. The Said BB must be put together with a wrench of some kind and renders the application and part completely useless if one wanted to simply use a piece of timber and a hammer to "press" it in...

No- Magura- you don't need expensive tools for a press fit job, but you sure as hell need to buy a special tool for yours... Wink

Posted: Nov 3, 2019 at 17:57 Quote
Mr-Magura wrote:

Now that you're putting so much effort into telling us all that you're retired, I'd be curious to have a couple of patent numbers to back that up, so we can all see how brilliant you are.

Magura Big Grin

You missed out on a rather interesting part.

Magura Smile

Posted: Nov 3, 2019 at 18:33 Quote
Mr-Magura wrote:
Mr-Magura wrote:

Magura Big Grin

Magura Smile

Lol- Magura of all you idiocies and ignorance this question by far sets you in the best light. To assume that my retirement has come from patenting a product is so obtuse- it's not even worthy of a response. However, given self contradiction is a terrible thing, I'll suck it up this time. Magura- I'm probably twice your age and that's enough said... as you progress in life you'll realise there's more to it than flashing "fancy" parts on a bike site- good luck, I hope you get to retire soon off of all those idiots that you "cash in on" I'm sure you'll sleep like a baby! Until then- keep keeping the young sheep here interested in your BS. Wink

Posted: Nov 3, 2019 at 18:38 Quote
walkingtall76 wrote:
Mr-Magura wrote:
Mr-Magura wrote:

Magura Big Grin

Magura Smile

Lol- Magura of all you idiocies and ignorance this question by far sets you in the best light. To assume that my retirement has come from patenting a product is so obtuse- it's not even worthy of a response. However, given self contradiction is a terrible thing, I'll suck it up this time. Magura- I'm probably twice your age and that's enough said... as you progress in life you'll realise there's more to it than flashing "fancy" parts on a bike site- good luck, I hope you get to retire soon off of all those idiots that you "cash in on" I'm sure you'll sleep like a baby! Until then- keep keeping the young sheep here interested in your BS. Wink

Well, that's how most engineers I know retired, and how I did so myself.
Your assumptions are roughly as wrong as the rest of the BS you've been spilling here.

Magura Big Grin

O+
Posted: Nov 3, 2019 at 19:32 Quote
So I finally kind of get what walking is saying but really badly worded.

I believe what walking is trying to say is that if he has to use a threaded connection that will spin/slide in the bb shell the fit will not be tight enough to keep the bb from spinning on its own or creaking and cracking.

I think that he is wrong You can design it to have the right fit you just have to be carefull. Someone already pointed out the wheels manufacturing bb's which essentially do the same thing.

The last thing is the guy who did it in first place striped the threads of his bb and this is probably the only viable solution without turfing the frame. So if it creaks a bit I am sure he's not all that concerned.

ohh and i am sure there will be snarky response that I dont know what I am talking about coming

photo

Posted: Nov 4, 2019 at 4:10 Quote
Had one of them on my old sworks enduro and it solved my creaking issues and never loosened or gave me any trouble. One of the best solutions to press fit bottom brackets around

Posted: Nov 4, 2019 at 4:12 Quote
bikerboywill wrote:
Had one of them on my old sworks enduro and it solved my creaking issues and never loosened or gave me any trouble. One of the best solutions to press fit bottom brackets around
You are mistaken. This can not possibly work.

Rolleyes

Posted: Nov 4, 2019 at 9:29 Quote
Arnoodles wrote:
bikerboywill wrote:
You are mistaken. This can not possibly work.

Rolleyes

Yep, sorry bikerboywill, I'm calling BS on this, you obviously haven't got a clue what you're on about. I hope you aren't planning on retiring anytime soon if this is your level of understanding. Especially when you take into account how much it'll cost to sort out your dodgy British teeth. Oh, and by the way, your countrymen are shit at rugby, even though they spanked Australia a few weeks ago. lol

Posted: Nov 4, 2019 at 10:18 Quote
I think the last 5 or 6 pages of this thread has given me brain cancer.

O+
Posted: Nov 4, 2019 at 10:22 Quote
inked-up-metalhead wrote:
I think the last 5 or 6 pages of this thread has given me brain cancer.
yup

Just report all of walkingtall76's post since he's basically just spamming the thread at this point.

Posted: Nov 4, 2019 at 10:24 Quote
Incapable. Been reduced to a drooling mess at this point.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013696
Mobile Version of Website