Trails in progress, show us your building skill.

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Trails in progress, show us your building skill.
Posted: Feb 20, 2013 at 17:00 Quote
Mark P posted another video a couple of days ago, just thought I'd share this with the group.

Posted: Feb 20, 2013 at 17:16 Quote
And the award for the most haggard role in goes to.....

Posted: Feb 21, 2013 at 1:00 Quote
jamesinator98 wrote:
pros and cons of long handled shovels?

Depends what your working on really, they are perfect for stacking clay or filling barrows from deep holes.

Pros:
Can stack higher jumps more easily
Can digger from deeper pits more easily
Look like a boss when you use one
Less bending over so better for your back
You get bigger arms when you use one on heavy clays

Cons:
Harder to dig through really hard soils and roots and stuff, need a digging spade for that
I find then useless for shaping as the handles have to much flex

Posted: Feb 21, 2013 at 2:04 Quote
chrisr90 wrote:
Seen quite a few pictures recently of people using like a flat headed pick axe... Assuming its to stop dirt becoming loose when removing it. Anyone use one?

mattocks or digging hoes basically break up hard dirt

Posted: Feb 21, 2013 at 2:06 Quote
Trailboss-Dan wrote:
jamesinator98 wrote:
pros and cons of long handled shovels?

Depends what your working on really, they are perfect for stacking clay or filling barrows from deep holes.

Pros:
Can stack higher jumps more easily
Can digger from deeper pits more easily
Look like a boss when you use one
Less bending over so better for your back
You get bigger arms when you use one on heavy clays

Cons:
Harder to dig through really hard soils and roots and stuff, need a digging spade for that
I find then useless for shaping as the handles have to much flex

I actually find them easier for shaping, but you dont get so much force in when you slab.

Another con is you really need a round head, and a flathead, as opposed to a straight off trenching shovel
they are not as strong
they are harder to balance clay on.

But when it comes to actuall digging, shaping and slabbign the whole job is a lot easier once you get used to them

Posted: Feb 21, 2013 at 13:11 Quote
For confidence is it worth converting a gap jump into a table until I can ride it everytime? I can usually hit it easily but I shit myself coming toward it

Posted: Feb 21, 2013 at 13:13 Quote
No it takes A LOT of dirt to build a table. Just stick a case board on it if you're that worried.

Posted: Feb 21, 2013 at 13:31 Quote
honestly tables really dont help you any , all they do is slowly give you some confience , a gap jump makes you hit it right the first time , and makes gives you more confience for the next new gap jump or so on

Posted: Feb 21, 2013 at 14:12 Quote
Nashmeyer wrote:
honestly tables really dont help you any , all they do is slowly give you some confience , a gap jump makes you hit it right the first time , and makes gives you more confience for the next new gap jump or so on

This, I hit a gap once, and hit a second time. After landing a second time, I know that I didn't get lucky, and balls have grown bigger

Posted: Feb 21, 2013 at 14:14 Quote
it just improves your riding , there is no work up to it , you land it or you case it ,

Posted: Feb 21, 2013 at 14:17 Quote
Or you ditch and try again if you know youre casing bad

Posted: Feb 21, 2013 at 14:23 Quote
Okay thanks guys, it's the first decent sized one ive ever built i'll just go for it next time

Posted: Feb 21, 2013 at 14:26 Quote
CameronRose wrote:
For confidence is it worth converting a gap jump into a table until I can ride it everytime? I can usually hit it easily but I shit myself coming toward it
This question was painful to read. That shit is never worth it. Anybody who fills in a gap jump should be hit with a shovel. Wasting perfectly good dirt that could have built another gap jump for tabling purposes is just plain wrong.

Posted: Feb 21, 2013 at 14:40 Quote
a popular solution is putting a heavy duty pallet or two before the landing, so even if you case like 3 feet it's not a big deal.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.022256
Mobile Version of Website