The Whistler Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
The Whistler Thread
O+
Posted: Mar 30, 2019 at 16:52 Quote
goytay wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:
How the hell do you all eat pizza while riding. I can't eat greasy, heavy food. I bring fruit and nuts with me.

Same here, but one slice is not the end of the world, and is not ever time I'm up do I have some,
Like you I usually pack a lunch.

Oh I eat crap food lol. But I save it for after the ride. I like peaked pies or creekside pizza.

Posted: Mar 31, 2019 at 7:04 Quote
Hey All,
I'm flying from Australia to Calgary on the 3rd of May and am in a bit of a pickle as to which style bike I will be wanting to purchase. I have had both enduro and downhill bikes and have just recently sold my rocky mountain altitude. I am wanting to ride the bike park on my travels from Calgary to Whistler but will also be hitting up trails outside of the parks. I was just wondering what bike style you guys would recommend, Enduro (160-180mm) or downhill (200+mm). Any help and advice will be great,
Also if anyone is selling a bike or will be in the next month or so located in Calgary or surrounding areas would be great to know
Thanks
Max

Posted: Mar 31, 2019 at 8:37 Quote
I feel like dh rigs can't compete with some of these Enduro bikes. Dh bikes are fun and I really love mine. I feel like you will have a better time on an Enduro bike. There isn't anything you can't ride on an Enduro bike at Whistler. The only limiting factor is your riding ability and your body gets beat up more. I'm sure there are loads of places to ride from Calgary to Whistler. I also heard Whistler has great trails outside of the bike park. My vote would be an Enduro bike.

Posted: Mar 31, 2019 at 9:13 Quote
Splitz grill is good if you like large portions & good burgers.

O+
Posted: Mar 31, 2019 at 9:31 Quote
MaxScharpenack wrote:
Hey All,
I'm flying from Australia to Calgary on the 3rd of May and am in a bit of a pickle as to which style bike I will be wanting to purchase. I have had both enduro and downhill bikes and have just recently sold my rocky mountain altitude. I am wanting to ride the bike park on my travels from Calgary to Whistler but will also be hitting up trails outside of the parks. I was just wondering what bike style you guys would recommend, Enduro (160-180mm) or downhill (200+mm). Any help and advice will be great,
Also if anyone is selling a bike or will be in the next month or so located in Calgary or surrounding areas would be great to know
Thanks
Max

If you can only buy one bike, absolutely get an Enduro bike. I have a specialized Enduro 170mm and it can handle everything I throw at it but I still prefer my gambler for park and really gnarly shuttle days. You can ride any trail in the park on a 160mm+ bike.

Posted: Mar 31, 2019 at 11:00 Quote
You can ride any trail in the park on a hardtail too but not day after day. I’ve ridden the park on all three but for me it’s a DH bike.

O+
Posted: Mar 31, 2019 at 11:22 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
MaxScharpenack wrote:
Hey All,
Thanks
Max

If you can only buy one bike, absolutely get an Enduro bike. I have a specialized Enduro 170mm and it can handle everything I throw at it but I still prefer my gambler for park and really gnarly shuttle days. You can ride any trail in the park on a 160mm+ bike.
agree. Get a long travel enduro and you will be happy!

O+
Posted: Mar 31, 2019 at 11:24 Quote
MaxScharpenack wrote:
Hey All,
Thanks
Max

Hey, Calgary local here.

I find my 27.5 160mm Norco Range to be the perfect balance between trail bike and park bike. Ive ridden every trail in the Whistler bike park, Fernie Bike park and Panorama bike park on it and find it works great for all of that, it also works great for pedalling around the trails in and around Calgary and the rockies and even the quick rips at COP. Definitely go with an Enduro/AM bike, you wont regret it. whereas i can see regretting getting a full downhill ride. There is great riding to be had in the Calgary area.

I also recommend you check the “Calgary + surrounding area MTB Buy and Sell” group on Facebook as there are some wicked deals to be had, even make a post on there saying what you’re looking for and your price range and the sellers will flock to it. The Pinkbike buy and sell has a decent selection.

Posted: Mar 31, 2019 at 14:01 Quote
Bring a enduro bike and rent a dh bike for a day or 2 in Whistler. That's what I did when I was there. Enduro for the trails across from Whistler for sure.

Posted: Apr 4, 2019 at 22:33 Quote
NorcoCanuck wrote:
Can't believe that 1000 people have guessed but no one has found the golden nug. Must be on a super unridden trail.
I know

Posted: Apr 5, 2019 at 10:23 Quote
larr wrote:
NorcoCanuck wrote:
Can't believe that 1000 people have guessed but no one has found the golden nug. Must be on a super unridden trail.
I know

Is someone able to fill me in on this 'golden nug' situation?

O+
Posted: Apr 5, 2019 at 10:32 Quote
https://thegoldennug.ca
buckwheat23 wrote:
larr wrote:
NorcoCanuck wrote:
I know

Is someone able to fill me in on this 'golden nug' situation?

https://thegoldennug.ca

O+
Posted: Apr 5, 2019 at 10:51 Quote
I'm curious how specific it is. Been making some guesses but wonder if I missed by a millimeter or a couple pixels on the map

O+
Posted: Apr 8, 2019 at 13:40 Quote
kevin267 wrote:
I'm curious how specific it is. Been making some guesses but wonder if I missed by a millimeter or a couple pixels on the map

Was wondering the same, I think they narrowed it down for everyone today.

Posted: Apr 8, 2019 at 15:12 Quote
Heading to Whistler in August and staying in the village. Want to do some North Shore riding. Can anyone recommend a shuttle service?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017323
Mobile Version of Website