The Whistler Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
The Whistler Thread
Posted: Apr 11, 2019 at 18:02 Quote
poteran wrote:
Thank you all for your very informative replies! Im 100% going to Squamish 2nd to last and maybe even my last day of the trip too. Is Cypress easy to find? Whats the terrain? Looking for Slabs

Cypress is in north Vancouver, not squamish. If you're looking for slabs, the Alice Lake area is where you'll find them.

Posted: Apr 11, 2019 at 18:11 Quote
gbeaks33 wrote:
poteran wrote:
Thank you all for your very informative replies! Im 100% going to Squamish 2nd to last and maybe even my last day of the trip too. Is Cypress easy to find? Whats the terrain? Looking for Slabs

Cypress is in north Vancouver, not squamish. If you're looking for slabs, the Alice Lake area is where you'll find them.

thanks gbeaks33

O+
Posted: Apr 11, 2019 at 18:19 Quote
poteran wrote:

Cypress has rock rolls and some slabs but it doesn't compare to squamish in that area. Squamish wins for slabs. Cypress is REALLY gnarly and steep. There are no easy trails. Lots of big drops, jumps, steep loamy corners, a bit of flow but mostly gnarly tech. It has everything.

Posted: Apr 12, 2019 at 3:38 Quote
kevin267 wrote:
antigit wrote:
Can anyone recommend a guide company for a day trip to Squamish?

Dialled in cycling http://dialedincycling.com

Thanks man, they look good.

O+
Posted: Apr 13, 2019 at 0:52 Quote
Squamish has inventoried it's slabs and loamers for 2019 and it's bad news. Looks like Squamish will have to shut down its slab trails and all of Diamond Head Bike Park for the 2019 season.
Thank you for your understanding while we nurture our fragile slab ecosystem back to sustainable geological health and look forward to seeing you in 2020. Thanks kindly for the understanding.
Oh...Valleycliffe has more climbing than descending there. Just pointing it out

O+
Posted: Apr 13, 2019 at 8:20 Quote
renbuskeh wrote:
Squamish has inventoried it's slabs and loamers for 2019 and it's bad news. Looks like Squamish will have to shut down its slab trails and all of Diamond Head Bike Park for the 2019 season.
Thank you for your understanding while we nurture our fragile slab ecosystem back to sustainable geological health and look forward to seeing you in 2020. Thanks kindly for the understanding.

I can’t tell if you’re serious or not. Can you elaborate?

O+
Posted: Apr 13, 2019 at 19:12 Quote
renbuskeh wrote:

I have no idea what you're saying?

Posted: Apr 15, 2019 at 15:03 Quote
renbuskeh wrote:

can't they just water the slabs and be done with it?

Posted: Apr 15, 2019 at 15:36 Quote
What renbuskeh is saying is that all the lands on which slab trails are located have been bought by the Chinese. They are going to put condos on them and / or bury duffel bags of laundered money on the land. It means all these trails are now closed. Hope that helps!!

O+
Posted: Apr 15, 2019 at 16:19 Quote
He's not lying dudes... you can tell he's serious because Valleycliffe IS uphill both ways.

Posted: Apr 15, 2019 at 16:24 Quote
K is this real or what? I know there was some stuff regarding the family who owned part of the land near Alice Lake and were squabbling with the city regarding developing part of it...but I thought that was settled?

O+
Posted: Apr 15, 2019 at 17:06 Quote
420% serious, but OP has the reasons wrong. There's actually oil and gas reserves been discovered running from Valleycliff to Alice Lake. The government is going to start fracking to get it out and then it'll be shipped directly out of the new Squamish super harbour that's going to get built. All part of the plan to reduce BC's reliance on Alberta.

O+
Posted: Apr 15, 2019 at 18:45 Quote
I heard the same as king tut for the reason behind closing the slabs although i heard that once the infrastructure for the fracking is complete, the ministry will be selling day use permits.

O+
Posted: Apr 15, 2019 at 21:16 Quote
nickel wrote:
I heard the same as king tut for the reason behind closing the slabs although i heard that once the infrastructure for the fracking is complete, the ministry will be selling day use permits.
Is this publicized anywhere? I can’t find anything on it. I can’t see them fracking there. Environmentalists will lose their minds.

Posted: Apr 15, 2019 at 22:35 Quote
chinaboy wrote:
nickel wrote:
Is this publicized anywhere? I can’t find anything on it. I can’t see them fracking there. Environmentalists will lose their minds.

some of you guys have obviously fallen on your heads one too many times

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.022835
Mobile Version of Website