The Whistler Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
The Whistler Thread
O+
Posted: Mar 1, 2024 at 10:37 Quote
ethanrevitch wrote:
bishopsmike wrote:
OskLening wrote:
Thanks for all the good advice, I´m not sure when I will go, but I will be checking all the visa and work permit related things. Does anyone know, if there are things like shared apartments for low budget students? If so, where would I get access to offerings?

Whistler (and Squamish and Vancouver) has incredible riding, but is also very expensive. It's very hard to make life there inexpensive or low budget. But tons of people work there every summer and make it work, so it's definitely possible. But keep an open mind for other quieter locations too, like Cumberland, Kamloops, Nelson or Fernie.
Is there not decently priced housing in Richmond anymore?

Richmond sucks, don't go lol

Seriously, try to get a job at a resort or with the mountain, where you can get staff accommodations.

https://vailresorts.starrezhousing.com/StarRezPortal/BBD15D8A/1/1/Home-Employee_Housing_at_?UrlToken=290736D5

https://www.whistler-jobs.ca/staff-housing

Posted: Mar 1, 2024 at 11:35 Quote
ethanrevitch wrote:
bishopsmike wrote:
OskLening wrote:
Thanks for all the good advice, I´m not sure when I will go, but I will be checking all the visa and work permit related things. Does anyone know, if there are things like shared apartments for low budget students? If so, where would I get access to offerings?

Whistler (and Squamish and Vancouver) has incredible riding, but is also very expensive. It's very hard to make life there inexpensive or low budget. But tons of people work there every summer and make it work, so it's definitely possible. But keep an open mind for other quieter locations too, like Cumberland, Kamloops, Nelson or Fernie.

Oh God no. That's expensive too

Posted: Mar 5, 2024 at 8:54 Quote
leelau wrote:
ethanrevitch wrote:
bishopsmike wrote:

Kamloops also expensive. Lots of pipeline workers in rental housing where trans mountain pays the bills, plus a rapidly growing city outside of the lower mainland means housing costs keep increasing.

O+
Posted: Mar 5, 2024 at 10:12 Quote
gbeaks33 wrote:
leelau wrote:
ethanrevitch wrote:

Kamloops also expensive. Lots of pipeline workers in rental housing where trans mountain pays the bills, plus a rapidly growing city outside of the lower mainland means housing costs keep increasing.

There are very few places with good riding that still have cheap housing, and none of them are south of PG lol.

O+
Posted: Mar 6, 2024 at 13:40 Quote
The bigger question is, why would a mountain biker want to live in Richmond?? Especially if you do not own a car.

O+
Posted: Mar 6, 2024 at 14:19 Quote
djyosh wrote:
The bigger question is, why would ANYONE want to live in Richmond?? Especially if you do not own a car.

Fixed that for you.

Posted: Mar 6, 2024 at 15:58 Quote
whitebirdfeathers wrote:
djyosh wrote:
The bigger question is, why would ANYONE want to live in Richmond?? Especially if you do not own a car.

Fixed that for you.

Steveston’s nice. But yeah way too far from the mountains.

Posted: Mar 19, 2024 at 1:54 Quote
Hi all.
Looking to go to Whistler for first time later this summer.
Any recommendations on bike rentals and places to stay.

O+
Posted: Mar 19, 2024 at 8:21 Quote
kmreid66 wrote:
Hi all.

I have stayed at Crystal Lodge and Suites my last two trips. Highly recommended if you want to be in the Village. Its not cheap (nothing in the Village is) but cheaper than other nearby options.

O+
Posted: Mar 19, 2024 at 11:38 Quote
kmreid66 wrote:
Hi all.

Agree with the Crystal Lodge, not cheap but nothing is... seems to be one of the better priced ones and is always clean and have had no issues there. We stay there once or twice a year probably. We tried the Aava a couple times, seems to be more popular for mountain bikers but we found it was not as clean (big deal for my wife lol).

There are so many places to stay though so I'd look around for whatever has the best deal. Bike rentals are the same, tons of places to rent from in the village so it will depend more on what bike you want, etc. Not sure if you can book ahead for these but if you can that would be smart.

Posted: Mar 26, 2024 at 20:59 Quote
Crankworx weekend at Whistler??
I accidentally booked flights to ride Whistler for 3 days during Crankworx. I’m super bummed I didn’t see it before booking.
Are a bunch of trails closed during it? I’d imagine lift lines would be longer too.

Anyone have any insight of what it would be like riding there that weekend?

O+
Posted: Mar 27, 2024 at 7:53 Quote
Rippedbx wrote:
I accidentally booked flights to ride Whistler for 3 days during Crankworx. I’m super bummed I didn’t see it before booking.
Are a bunch of trails closed during it? I’d imagine lift lines would be longer too.

Are you only looking at the bike park, or interested in riding non-lift serviced trails?

O+
Posted: Mar 27, 2024 at 9:33 Quote
May 17th bike park opening!!!

https://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/explore-the-resort/activities-and-events/whistler-mountain-bike-park/whistler-mountain-bike-park.aspx

Posted: Mar 27, 2024 at 11:44 Quote
bishopsmike wrote:
Rippedbx wrote:

Are you only looking at the bike park, or interested in riding non-lift serviced trails?

Just bike park stuff. Probably not interested in watching crankworx there. Just want as much riding as possible.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.027743
Mobile Version of Website