Noisy 2008 Avid Code's

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Noisy 2008 Avid Code's
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 30, 2008 at 6:30 Quote
My Avids are rather noisy in wet conditions. From what I've read that is the norm with these brakes as with most disc brakes in when riding in wet weather.

Currently using the brake pads that came with the brakes but I was wondering if there is an alternate set up that can at least decrease the "howling" factor when riding in wet weather.

On a positive spin regarding the noise coming from the brakes... it will at least keep the bears, cougars and jackalopes in check when I am traversing a steep switchback. ;-)

Thanks in advance.

CF

Posted: Apr 30, 2008 at 9:08 Quote
hi mate i can't remember which pads the 08 come with athe 2007s used to come
with the avid organic pads which although have slightly better braking performance in
certain condition do not last as long as the metal/sintered which normally come in at £17.99 a pair, im afraid you can't do much about the wet causing the noise curruntly

Posted: Apr 30, 2008 at 15:54 Quote
charliefandango wrote:
On a positive spin regarding the noise coming from the brakes... it will at least keep the bears, cougars and jackalopes in check when I am traversing a steep switchback. ;-)

now you just have to watch out for ligers and tigons!

Posted: May 1, 2008 at 7:13 Quote
The Codes come stock with organic pads, and I've noticed that these pads make more noise than most organic pads. I switched mine out for the Mettalic version from Avid, and they are much quieter, and have a bit more bit to them. I'm not a big fan of the organic pads, but they do have a bit less fade than the metallic ones. You could also try using one of each pad in the caliper, this might quiet them down a bit, and give you the best of both worlds. You just need to be careful because the organic pads wear down faster than the metallic ones, so you'll need to keep an eye on the pads to make sure you don't wear them all the way down.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010317
Mobile Version of Website