small problem turned big, help ?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
small problem turned big, help ?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 18, 2008 at 13:16 Quote
hey guys, i bought a sram PG-970 DH for my switch, and there is a problem. I think my sram x-9 is a medium cage, and my derailer has be adjusted and everything, and it will shift fine through the first 4 or 5 gears, but in my smaller gears, from 6-9, the gears skip every !!!! time. and when i go to gear 9, the section that the chain goes through is almost right up against the body of it, like folded up almost. its a 11-26 and i have a 40 tooth up front ( single ring ). so my question is, what do i need to do to be able to obtain my last few gears without skipping ? do i need to buy a new short cage derailer ?

Posted: May 18, 2008 at 13:18 Quote
i beleive its all cable tension

Posted: May 18, 2008 at 13:21 Quote
when you changed your cassett did you change you chain
if you dident im 99% sure thats your problem
a ner cassett wont work on an old chain as when a chain wares and stretchs it wares the cassett as well so the chain and cassett are worn the same amount. if you change one and not the other ( the most common time this happerns is when someone snaps a chain and just puts a new chain on) the old part wont work with the new part.

buy a new chain and this should sort your problem
and dont buy a sram chain they ware out sooo fast get a kmc

hope this helps abit

Posted: May 18, 2008 at 13:32 Quote
If you have the little leaflet that came with your mech, then it will depict to you the little screws you need to back off, or tighten up, in order to set the upper and lower limits for movement. There will be a small posidrive or Philips head grub screw that you need to screw in to move the position of the mech away from the cassette.

Also, the small adjuster at your shifter should be unscrewed only by one full turn. No more and no less.

Furthermore, to get all the slack out of your cable you must shift down into your hardest gear and then pull the cable through.

Posted: May 18, 2008 at 16:05 Quote
alright, ill try adjusting the little part on my shifter
and ya, i did buy a brand new chain when i got the cassette

any other tips ?

Posted: May 22, 2008 at 18:55 Quote
I would say it is your cable tension to if you bought a new chain.
Limit screws to check.

I was a broke joe tried to save a few buck and got a chain from canadian tire once.
That was a misstake. The pins in the chain were to long and would catch on the teeth.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010067
Mobile Version of Website