Hayes 9 inche rotors

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Hayes 9 inche rotors
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 21, 2008 at 17:57 Quote
I am thinking about buying the new stroker ace with 9 inche rotors. I am woundering if anybody has riden these rotors and what they think about them? how is the wieght? does it give a lot more power?

Posted: May 24, 2008 at 4:12 Quote
Well you will loose modulation with the 9" rotor. To be honest I think that an 8 is sufficent, especially as they are a 4pot brake, and hayes are renowned to be very powerful company. Of course an advantage is a bigger rotor is power and less heat.

Bigger rotor=Less modulation, more power, less heat.

Out of interest....where are you planning on getting the aces? I didn't know they were out.

Posted: May 24, 2008 at 4:32 Quote
Weren't the Ace's aimed for the lightweight XC market?

Posted: May 24, 2008 at 4:38 Quote
defcone wrote:

Nope, the aces are the new big 4pots aimed at FR and DH.

Posted: May 24, 2008 at 5:09 Quote
Joeyy wrote:
defcone wrote:

Nope, the aces are the new big 4pots aimed at FR and DH.

Oh my bad, I was thinking of the Gram or something.

Posted: May 24, 2008 at 6:47 Quote
Joeyy wrote:
Well you will loose modulation with the 9" rotor. To be honest I think that an 8 is sufficent, especially as they are a 4pot brake, and hayes are renowned to be very powerful company. Of course an advantage is a bigger rotor is power and less heat.

Bigger rotor=Less modulation, more power, less heat.

Out of interest....where are you planning on getting the aces? I didn't know they were out.

They are coming out in june

Posted: May 24, 2008 at 7:06 Quote
I'm not too sure about the strokers with 9 inch rotors, but I run a 9 with my hayes mags, and I love it... Its true about the loss of modulation, but I feel that the benefits it shedding heat and gobs of extra power are well worth it. I don't have the stiffest of forks, so I find that while turning there is quite a bit of scraping between rotor and caliper, maybe it's just my set-up. Also, the 9" adapter thing was way too thick, so I had to grind it down a bit so that it wouldn't rub against the rotor. Sorry if this was a bit ambiguous...hope it helps!

Posted: May 24, 2008 at 21:44 Quote
don't bother with strokers

terrible brakes, don't stop, no feel to them, powerless when compared to most other brakes.

go with avids, lighter, much nicer build and better power and feel.

as for the 9"? not worth the time/money, you get heaps of stopping power with an 8". i race DH on a 6" now, and don't even notice much of a difference.

Posted: May 25, 2008 at 0:51 Quote
showpony wrote:

terrible brakes, don't stop, no feel to them, powerless when compared to most other brakes.

go with avids, lighter, much nicer build and better power and feel.

as for the 9"? not worth the time/money, you get heaps of stopping power with an 8". i race DH on a 6" now, and don't even notice much of a difference.

I can't agree to that.
Firstly I seriousley doubt you have tried any of the aces.
Secondly the hayes stroker line are damn amazing! They have a great feel, actually modulated, and as for power, thats just obvious as they are hayes.

Posted: May 25, 2008 at 4:41 Quote
[Quote="Joeyy"]
showpony wrote:

Secondly the hayes stroker line are damn amazing! They have a great feel, actually modulated, and as for power, thats just obvious as they are hayes.

They're terrible! I work/ride with a mechanic who rides them cos he's gotta, both him and his teammates have required dissassembling/bleeding/other mechanical problems numerous times. I've ridden his bike heaps, and they feel like crap. Not to mention my own experience with Hayes 9's, worst brake i ever had! Terrible feel, power was nice, but no in-between, it was either fully open or fully clamped. And no matter what i did, they squealed more than a 9 year old at a wiggles concert.

This is just my experience with Hayes, man, im not trying to start an argument here.

Posted: May 25, 2008 at 5:14 Quote
Dumb Question but as I dont know what is modulation

Posted: May 25, 2008 at 5:23 Quote
jac114 wrote:
Dumb Question but as I dont know what is modulation

The ability to have the brakes on say partly, its just like feathering them down descents etc. Un modulated brakes like hayes nines are either dead on or dead off. But with a bit of skill you can do stoppies and whatnot!

Posted: Jun 29, 2008 at 1:35 Quote
[Quote="showpony"]
Joeyy wrote:
showpony wrote:

They're terrible! I work/ride with a mechanic who rides them cos he's gotta, both him and his teammates have required dissassembling/bleeding/other mechanical problems numerous times. I've ridden his bike heaps, and they feel like crap. Not to mention my own experience with Hayes 9's, worst brake i ever had! Terrible feel, power was nice, but no in-between, it was either fully open or fully clamped. And no matter what i did, they squealed more than a 9 year old at a wiggles concert.

This is just my experience with Hayes, man, im not trying to start an argument here.

Now how many wiggles concerts have you been to liamWink Wink Confused
Did you go to pick up a couple of chicks?

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011948
Mobile Version of Website