my forks umm HELP

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
my forks umm HELP
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 27, 2008 at 13:16 Quote
ok so we went to newport on monday for the day.

on sunday i striped my bike down and greased the head set berrings changed the pedals oiled the chain (the works)

we went to newport and my bike was running so smoth berings were sweet everthing was just right

i went to ride my bike tonight and the head set was a bit lose so i tightend that up and road it along the road and it was just shit the berrings were creaking ect

and my forks now fell really bad they going down in steps ie go down a bit stop down a bit more and arnt smoth just vile my bike feels so bad.

so i need a new star nut (nothing to fix)
ill get some berrings from work (still easy to fix)

but my main question is what is wrong with my forks they have not long been striped down new oil ect by chain reaction cycles

they are dirt jam comp forks

i no people will be like there rubbish get new forks ect

but im saving up for some but i still want some to ride intill i get them

any ideas what is wrong

how do i take them apart to check inside?

cheers for any help

Posted: May 28, 2008 at 10:57 Quote
cold weather can make those forks go stiff and feel rotten, don't know if that helps...

Posted: May 28, 2008 at 12:30 Quote
photo

photo

photo

so i re greased all the parts with you can see on the bench and it feels a bit different but not much (cant tell that much because my headset needs tighting up)

where abouts in the forks dose the oil go because im not to sure

now i want some new springs for them they are 100mm forks will these springs fit

photo

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=2460 (link to springs)

i want them in xx hard as well

what do you guys think

Posted: May 29, 2008 at 15:58 Quote
Not sure, your best bet would be to phone ChainReaction, they're mechanics will know.

Posted: May 29, 2008 at 16:06 Quote
Unfortunately Dirt Jam Comps don't use oil, they use elastomer for damping, If you've greased everything all I can think of it new elastomer or new forks.

I don't think changing the springs will have an effect on your problem.

Sorry bud.

Was it cold when you went riding? Elastomer forks get harder or softer depending on the temperature as someone has already mentioned.

Posted: May 29, 2008 at 16:09 Quote
or fork out the money an get them tuned Madder

Posted: May 29, 2008 at 16:15 Quote
Yeah I suppose you could see if Tim Flooks could maybe do something with them although you could probably buy another Dirt Jam Comp with that money. If you saved up a bit of money you could get a fork with oil damping.

Posted: May 29, 2008 at 16:16 Quote
benhooper wrote:
or fork out the money an get them tuned Madder

Thats A really silly idea, whats the point of spending money on forks not worth £70, tf charge like £75 for a tune up.

just save up and get a pair of s/h z1 freerides or z1 drop offs.

Posted: May 29, 2008 at 16:27 Quote
i know its not a huge step up from what you have
but i had the dirt jam pros with one side coil and one side air
and i loved them untill a shitty landing snaped the upper crown

Posted: May 29, 2008 at 16:44 Quote
there is nothing inside these forks to tune...?
just bin them and put it down to experience.
you can get some second hand djs pretty cheap on ebay etc in the mean time whilst you save for something else, thats the most realistic idea.

Posted: May 30, 2008 at 0:08 Quote
sounds like you may have bent your steerer/ovalized headtube. possibility. the forks should just be scraped and get some dj 2 or 1s

Posted: May 30, 2008 at 9:11 Quote
there ok now i greased everthing up and there smoth agen so they will last intill i get some new ones and im guna ring chain reaction cycles tomorow to ask about the springs

Posted: May 30, 2008 at 10:35 Quote
konascrapla wrote:
there ok now i greased everthing up and there smoth agen so they will last intill i get some new ones and im guna ring chain reaction cycles tomorow to ask about the springs

I don't think those springs will work as forks back then were thinner.

Posted: Jun 1, 2008 at 19:47 Quote
cowieuk wrote:
Yeah I suppose you could see if Tim Flooks could maybe do something with them although you could probably buy another Dirt Jam Comp with that money. If you saved up a bit of money you could get a fork with oil damping.
I have a dirtjam comp fork that I have been trying to sell for quite a while. if you're interested, I only want $60 for it, plus shipping costs. I myself upgraded to a fork with oil dampening because I was getting into racing.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015783
Mobile Version of Website